Chapter 13 - Birthday Celebrations

Gulab Jamun - A milk based Indian dessert soaked in sugar syrup.

---***---

"Uncle, it's my birthday" A fifteen-year-old Shubha reminded her uncle.

"Yes. Happy Birthday." He opened his wallet and gave her some money. "Buy whatever you want. Have fun."

"Can we go out for lunch?"

"I would love to. But I am busy." Her uncle replied.

"Shubha. Happy birthday. Enjoy with your friends." Her aunt gave her some more money and went out.

She looked at the money and sighed. Ever since her parents died, she never had a proper birthday celebration. None of her friends were available to celebrate with her. It was summer vacation. Even if it wasn't, how can a fifteen-year-old organize her own birthday party and celebrate with her friends?

"Wow Shubha akka. You get money on every birthday. I wish amma would give me some on my birthday too. Instead she brings me presents." Her cousin complained.

"I wish I had someone like that." Shubha muttered. 

"Shubha madam. Shubha madam." She was jolted to the present.

"Yes. I am coming." She looked into the mirror one again. Tears threatened to leak from her eyes. She blinked them away and went outside.

Vikram was busy as usual, discussing the scene with the Director of photography. He looked at her and came forward. "Good morning. Shall I explain the scene?"

"Yes. Please."

"This is the scene where you convince me to help you. I finally believe you and reveal your brother's whereabouts. I show you his old dagger. You hold it in your hands and smile sadly." He explained everything and gave her instructions regarding where to stand and when to face the camera.

"Okay." She nodded. 

He resumed his discussion. She walked aimlessly. "Hey! Sister from the sets. Happy Birthday." Naveen gave her a box. "I baked cookies for you. They are your favourite. Aren't they?"

"Thank you. How do you know it's my favourite?" She was sure she never told him.

"Vicky told me." Naveen answered. "Okay. I'll go now."

Shubha was surprised to know that Vikram remembered such tiny details she told him long ago. She asked her assistant to store the cookies carefully. 

The shooting started. Everything was fine until they reached the part where he shows her the dagger. A lone tear escaped her eyes. "I never meant to send him away." She whispered. 

Vikram frowned as she cried. He distinctly remembered asking her to smile weakly. But he liked the emotion. He thought it suited the situation. As usual, the shot was better than his expectations. 

After a few more hours of work, they went for lunch. "Guess what I brought from my home? Gulab Jamun." Dhwani showed the sweet to Shubha.

"I love it." Shubha tasted it.

"I know" Dhwani patted her.

"How do you know?" asked Shubha.

"I mean, I am such a wonderful cook that I know everyone will love my cooking."

Few minutes later Pragathi joined them. "You know what Shubha? I bought a Kerala saree yesterday. Buy one get one free. Will you take the other one?"

"Yes. I love Kerala sarees. Only last week I wanted to buy one." Shubha looked at the saree excitedly.

They finished their lunch and resumed shooting. After about an hour Chris approached. "Hello, my biggest fan."