Chapter 61: Right Reasons

"Paul. Hey, Paul."

I opened my eyes, feeling groggy. They slowly adjusted to her face, taking in her light skin, her big blue eyes. She smiled when she saw I was awake. "Hey." 

"Wow, you've been knocked out." Dawn laughed softly. 

We were still in bed, but now she was facing me. I didn't like the distance, but asked, "Any idea what time it is?" 

"I think it's about one in the afternoon," she answered. 

"We slept all day."

"You mean all morning? Yes."

I suppressed my instant "What a waste of time" statement as I realized how well rested and content I felt. "Hmph. I guess sleeping in isn't all that bad." 

"Wasn't the end of the world after all, huh?" Dawn joked. 

I smirked. "We haven't gone outside yet to see if the sky has fallen. You wait. My instincts are hardly ever wrong." 

"Really?" Dawn said smugly. I tried to decipher why, but she continued, "And what did your instincts say about me?" 

I took a deep breath and stared at her seriously. "Like I said, they're hardly ever wrong." 

She smiled and stretched and got out of bed while I remained frozen, wondering why she'd moved. The whole aspect of my mood changed by the simple new five feet between us. 

I sat up, hoping that with a change of position my perspective would follow suit. The comforter fell off and I felt the chill in the room. Dawn gasped. 

I looked at her with concern. "What?" 

"Your chest." She pointed at it, wide eyed. 

My eyes studied the swollen bruises I'd gotten yesterday. They did look bad. 

"Paul, why didn't you tell me how hurt you were?" Dawn asked, her eyebrows pulling down as she studied my chest again. 

I reached a hand out to her face, pausing. "May I?" 

She nodded, hesitant. 

I brushed back her hair, finding the bump and bruise Fuller had caused. I took a deep breath, trying to remain calm. "I didn't tell you because you are hurt enough as it is." 

"I got one bump, big deal. Your chest looks like someone decided to use you as a punching bag." She put her hand over mine and lowered it to the bed, still staring at my chest. 

"I'm fine, but thanks for your concern." My chest did hurt, but I didn't mind. Getting used to pain was a type of training in itself. It would heal and I wasn't worried about pain signals. I was more focused on Dawn who wouldn't look away from my torso. Amused, I murmured, "Do you always stare at shirtless guys?" 

Dawn glared at me. "I'm trying to be serious. You got hurt." 

"I can take care of myself." 

"Paul-" 

"Dawn, I'm fine," I said firmly. 

Dawn looked away and shook her head. "I know. But you don't get it. I know you're tough, Paul, but seeing you hurt like that..." She took a deep breath and looked at me again. "It's my turn to be your serf. What do you need to feel better? I'll get it for you." 

I rolled my eyes. "I don't need anything." 

"Don't be an idiot. Do you need ice? Come on, the swelling can go down. Your chest looks disgusting."