Chapter 24: A New Normal

Another week went by, the days blurring together. I was more cautious around Dawn. She was polite in return and, at times, even a bit smug. She knew my change in attitude was because she had beaten both Bagon and I in battle. I had to admit to myself that yes, she had won, and yes, I did assume too much about her. 

But no more. 

Dawn had earned a bit more respect and I found it easier to give it to her than I thought. It was almost a relief because, in return, she became quieter and more thoughtful. We began watching each other train more often and I actually ended up questioning some of her move choices. She questioned my technique as she watched my own training sessions and it was the first time that I'd ever experienced such a mutual arrangement.  

Her opinions were actually helpful and she seemed pleased that I took interest in the way she functioned not only as a Trainer, but as a person. Sometimes she would stop along the way to train one of her Pokemon and greet some Taillow in the tree, giving them some berries from her berry collection that she always kept with her. 

She'd play with her Pokemon too, giving them small breaks during their training. It seemed like the short pauses, especially in between frustrating bouts of being unable to focus or do what she needed accomplished, helped clear their mind and shortly after they'd get past the mental block. It was pretty incredible to watch and I found that I really did respect and learn from Dawn, something I'd never thought was possible. 

Still, I kept this information to myself and rarely showed how impressed I was. 

Bagon and I still trained every day, though now I started having him battle with my other Pokemon. His Crunch became perfected in little to no time. Dawn sat in our training spot, usually looking up Pokemon information on her Pokedex while I ran through the forest with my team, which became a daily exercise.  

"You know, I didn't think you ever really did train with your Pokemon that much," she said once after I'd returned from a jog with Bagon. "Maybe I should try that sometime." 

"It's good for your Pokemon to know that you understand how hard the tasks you set them are and to work as a team," I said after I got my breath back. 

So in the span of a week, a new routine was established. As Dawn's prattling grew less frequent, I felt more open with beginning conversation, which she seemed pleased to reply to. Mostly we talked of Pokemon and sometimes she'd talk of Contests or Ash and Brock, which I listened to politely. Their adventures seemed much more chaotic than mine, if not downright random and spontaneous, but that made them easy to listen to. I still couldn't help but roll my eyes at some of the stupid things that had happened during them.  

The whole time, we kept camp near the small town that Joey had last been in. We hadn't seen him over the course of the week and I hoped we didn't in the future, however distant it might be. My respect may have shifted toward Dawn, but I doubted I could ever look at Joey and not want to roll my eyes.  

Bagon began learning Double Edge, which he mastered easily. I found him to be a very offensive Pokemon as he preferred to attack relentlessly than form a strategy, though in mock battles with my other Pokemon he soon learned that without thinking things through, he would lose. 

Dawn and I would battle every once and awhile and I would always win now that I took her as a serious threat, though every once and a while she would use a move that I wouldn't have thought of or implement it in a way that threw my plan out of balance, making me resort to formulating new tactics to overcome her unexpected counters and combinations.  

We continued walking east until we were close enough to Verdanturf in case of emergencies, but far away to avoid running into other groups of people. I noticed Dawn's apprehension to stay in the forest growing every day as she looked at the meager camping food, but she didn't complain, which I found interesting. Maybe it was just her overly optimistic personality pouring out of her that kept her from any negativity. 

"Why didn't you teach Bagon Dragonbreath?" Dawn asked one afternoon during lunch. 

"Because Bagon's Attack is higher than his Special Attack. If he's going to spend time learning a Dragon type move, it might as well be Dragon Claw. When he evolves into a Salamence, I'll teach him Outrage." 

Dawn nodded. "Sounds like a great move. You'll just have to keep stocked up on Persim berries, won't you?" 

She knew that Outrage caused confusion and that Persim berries cured it? "Since when are you an encyclopedia?" 

She gave me a sheepish grin. "I picked it up from you. I really have learned a lot." 

I nodded, though refused to meet her eyes as I stared at the sandwich in my hands. 

"Paul? Thanks again for letting me travel with you. It's been a lot of fun. I feel like a better Trainer now." 

I shrugged. "You are a better Trainer. Having a brain and using it, whether you use it for battles or other situations, is a good quality that most people take for granted." 

Dawn was quiet for a minute before saying, "If I'd have lost the bet, would you have let me come along with you anyway?" 

"Nope," I said immediately. There were so many moments that I'd considered backing out on our deal to travel together, to just leave in the middle of the night and know that Dawn would wake up with no one around. It was the opposite of chivalrous and I'd forced myself to remain with her on those nights that her babbling had broken through my dreams, creating nightmares. Now, I had no problems with sleep and no quarrels with her, but I still wouldn't have let her travel with me at the time. 

"What if you'd known we'd become friends?" 

I tapped my fingers against the log we were sitting on. "What's the point in reveling in a past that doesn't exist, Dawn? You take a path and you follow it through. In time, there's no turning back. The past is the past and you would do well not to dwell on the decisions you've made. Instead, focus on the present and which path you will take next when a fork appears in the road before you." 

Her eyes met mine and I saw a level of understanding in them that I hadn't really noticed before. I stood up and took a couple of steps, pretending to gaze at the trees as I heard her say, "You're right, but I can't help but wonder about things sometimes." 

As much as I hated to admit it even to myself, I had to agree with her. I wondered, too, how things would have turned out. With my family, with my life, with my Pokemon training. 

I mentally shook my head and said, "I'm going to start training again. I'll meet you back here for dinner." 

"Ok."

Bagon hurried over to where I stood. Without turning around to face Dawn, I murmured, "Watch your footing on the path, Dawn." 

Without waiting for a reply, Bagon and I set off into the forest to begin drilling Flamethrower.