Chapter 55: Fracture

Pidgey cooed in the trees, waking me up. My eyes opened to sunlight filtering through the green canopy above my sleeping bag. I stretched briefly before remembering how sore I was from running. 

I turned my head. Dawn was in her sleeping bag a few feet away from me. I sighed. It seemed like no matter what there was always something occupying the space in between us. A few nights ago it was Joey. Last night it had been Haunter.  

I thought again of my plan to give Dawn my Rising Badge. It was still something I wanted to do to pay her back for all her gifts, her kindness she'd given me even when I'd shoved her aside or treated her unfairly. She, herself, was the greatest gift I'd received. More than a measly badge was needed as thanks. 

Still, the badge was a start. I stared at Dawn's sleeping form. She was hugging Piplup as she slept, her mouth slightly open. She was at peace. When the sunlight hit her hair, the sheen reminded me of what sunlight looked like when it hit waves on the ocean. 

It was odd, waking up to someone in the morning and realizing it was something that I looked forward to. I used to be repelled by human contact of any kind. Now, Dawn's presence was a relief, a promise that there was something, someone, who made the rest of the day worthwhile. Before she had stumbled into my life, Pokemon training had made each day purposeful. Getting stronger was the goal that made me get up without complaint in the morning. Now, it seemed like all my thoughts revolved around this Coordinator who slept on, oblivious to how much I thought of her when she was dreaming. 

Still, it didn't feel right to feel this way about her. It felt like if I pursued her, I would be giving up on being the strongest Trainer I could be. 

I was not a quitter. 

I got out of my sleeping bag as if it was the source of the thoughts that plagued me and began rifling through our food supplies. In the next two days we'd be in Mauville City and we'd restock on food. Not only that, but I'd told myself I would take Dawn to the beach. 

Now I wasn't sure if it would be the right thing to do. 

I sighed and arranged Pokemon food for our dozen Pokemon. For some odd reason, I wanted to talk about my decision with someone. Not Dawn, no, but someone who wasn't a part of the dilemma, someone that wasn't an idiot when it came to giving advice, and someone who genuinely cared about me. No one fell under that category. The only person who came close was my brother who I still disliked talking to. Every time I thought of him, he reminded me of an older version of Ash Ketchum who would lecture me on matters of the heart. I saw things much differently and talking to Reggie would be more of a nuisance than productive in any way. Which meant that left no one for me to talk to. 

I looked at Dawn again, my heart clenching painfully. Was she really the only true person on this earth I felt connected to? 

Yes, I knew the answer.  

But why, I asked myself, did that make me feel guilt and unease instead of happiness? 

After I finished putting the Pokemon food out, Dawn stirred. She sat up, letting Piplup roll onto his belly in her sleeping bag. Her eyes blinked slowly as she stretched. They fell sleepily on me, blue yet tired. And beautiful. Very beautiful.  

"Good morning." She yawned. 

"Morning," I murmured back, staring at her as if she might attack me. My growing nervousness was incredibly uncomfortable, which made no sense. Dawn couldn't attack me anyway. She was no larger of a threat than a Caterpie.  

"How did you sleep?" Dawn asked. 

"Fine." 

"Have any visitors last night?"