Chapter 17

Chapter 17

The trepidation of terror hunt down my nerves, drenching my skin from the fear of listening to the last truth of him. A strong gust of throbbing pain ushered against my chest and my stomach churned from it's effect. It would only stop after his statements had disclosed the final predicament and I might be forced to state my verdict whether to hate or maybe love him forever.

"Can there be anything else for me to know about you?" I was trying to make an attempt in guessing but I could be wrong.

"You were enquiring as to where my mother was in all these, didn't you?" He decided to break his silence and avoidance on the questions related to his mother.

"Did she pass away? I am sorry if I hurt you but the story made me think..." I did not know what to tell him. He was already filled with remorse, his eyes sore from the reminiscence of the bitter memories.

"Promise me that you won't hate me after this. I have earned enough hatred from others." He captivated my wrist, urging me to lend the words of promises to him.

"I won't, I promise. Now tell me. Why will I hate you?" I was desperate to know though I was scared if he ever had a girl in his life, if his mother had betrayed him or if she was even worse than his father.

"My mother was my father's mistress and I wasn't born out of a wedlock." He blurted out with a heavy sigh but not looking in my direction. He could not gather enough courage to stare at me again.

His fear was inevitable, the angst of people hating or parting from him was so true. He must have also been abused to be the son of a bitch, questioned of his illegitimacy or many other abusive offences. His uncle and aunt hated him, and he might have been treated like a dirt by others. But in the recent times, he was one of the renowned billionaires of the country and every inch of his success was the fruitful result of his hard work. He had built a platform for himself and nobody could deny it.

I closed my eyes, not wanting to embarrass him by my fixed gaze on him. His truth was injuring my heart, the pains I had suffered in life were nothing in comparison to his desolation. I had lost my parents very early but Siddharth had no parents in real sense. He could call nobody as his own family.

I would accept that his sufferings had acted like a pillar to fight back in life. He was the bedrock to his own and his brother's career. He was the master of his own fate and he had tutored himself in a very diligent manner.

Tears were flowing down my cheeks and I was not in a hurry to wipe off the salty liquid that was casting a layer on my skin. My cheekbones were trembling without a hint of how emotions could be expressed. He was indeed in the habit of considering himself to be a desolated part of the society where children born out of such physical relationships were considered to be bane, people bad-mouthed them, and some of them were even beaten to death.

Our society had never pondered over the fact that these innocent children were no curse or the result of an evil act. They were also born by following the similar biological processes as we legitimates were, they resembled similar blood running in their veins like ours, they also possessed similar knowledge and brain as ours, and even they held the rights to lead their lives independently, free from all social bondages and severe indictment.

But Siddharth's case was simply different and noteworthy, he had the courage to stand up against all odds of the society to create a respectable place for himself. Though a few many people might have doubted his abilities as an agent, but many others like Mr. Karthik duly respected him.