30: Strange friends

Donald was dressed in khaki shorts and a grey T-shirt which he paired with dark brown hiking boots and a dyed straw hat to complete his ensemble. He smiled charmingly at her, looking extremely pleased to have bumped into her while she, on the other hand, was utterly pissed he was here right now. When Lucas suggested a romantic getaway, she fervently hoped not to meet anyone she knew, but it was not meant to be. Although she held no grudges against him, heck he was more of an ally than acquaintance, she really wished he would disappear. Literally, hopefully.

"What are you doing here?" She quizzed, trying not to show her irritation. It sounded colder than she intended so she smiled forcibly to tone it down.

If he noticed her irritation, he took no offence. "My friend told me this was the perfect month of the year to visit the resort and since my boss will be at Tinapa, I can be here without problems," he explained, flashing her an endearing smile.

Sara pursed her lips, wondering if she should tell him his boss was not exactly at Tinapa but decided to forgo it. The less people knew she was with Lucas, the easier her life would be. The media was a case of once bitten, twice shy.

"Would there be any problem if your boss realises you're here on vacation instead of at work in the office?" She tried to bait him to see if she could shake him off.

He shrugged nonchalantly. If there was an effect for slacking on the job, he was clearly not bothered. "Not really. I took an excuse before leaving the office."

She nodded, accepting his explanation at face value. She didn't want to probe further and hoped he would not stick his nose into her affairs too.

"Sara, are you okay?" Yemisi yelled from across the walkway, her high strung voice resonating off the encompassing hills. Sara turned to find the couple and the rest of the crew looking at her expectantly. They were here for mountain climbing, not frivolous chitchats with random fellows. She smiled and nodded, glancing at Donald with the silent question.

"I came here to have fun and I can honestly say I'm glad to have bumped into you," he replied, adjusting the straw hat on his head in a carefree manner. "After you, mi lady," he demonstrated with a slight bow, removing his hat as well.

She laughed at that and started the slow journey across the hanging passageway with Donald trailing behind her and initiating light conversations as they walked.

"Why are you here?" He asked suddenly forcing her to stop midway. "Are you here on a romantic getaway with someone?"

Her brows raised, she swung around to look at him. "What are you talking about? Who told you that?" It sounded suspiciously like he knew something he shouldn't.

He shrugged again, a smirk playing on his lips. "I guess I didn't explain why I chose to come here this weekend. My friend who recommended this place said it was the perfect place for romantic inclinations. I have someone I plan to woo this weekend hopefully," he clarified, a ridiculously cheesy smile on his face. If she didn't know better she'd say he was besotted.

"Who?" She was skeptical. It would not be far from Jeremy to try such unamusing antics with her and he was Jeremy's friend after all.

"My girlfriend," he said simply, sidestepping her to go join their crew that were at least three meters ahead of them.
Since his actions indicated he didn't want to continue the conversation, she let it be even though her curiosity screamed otherwise.

She didn't know he had a girlfriend as he never acted like he did around her. Initially she thought he might be interested in her but since he made no moves, she knew there was no attraction between them, but a girlfriend out of the blues was surprisingly suspicious. She shook her head as if to dispel her paranoia. She hadn't talked to him in over two weeks and a lot can happen in that period of time. It was a lot of time to get a girlfriend, heck, she was in a relationship with Lucas the very night they met.