26: The art of kissing

Sara was feeling a little bit disappointed when Friday came around and she received not a call or text message from Lucas. It made her whole day dull as she spent the greater part of her working hours staring at her phone. She thought about calling him to inquire but refrained, trying not to look too eager. If he was set out to woo her, shouldn't he be the one making the efforts?

Work was boring for her as there were no new clients, no sales and practically no inspiration for designs that came to her. Surprisingly since she resumed work, she had noticed Jeremy kept his distance. He was very professional around her, almost as though he felt if he crossed that line, he would be drawn and quartered. It even went as far as him sending her back to Fifth floor to cancel their alliance. She was pleased with the decision but once he started meeting Kathy more often than not for company related issues, she knew to be wary of him.

Today, Kathy had gone to drop some files on the sixth floor and had not returned. Three hours gone and Sara could almost guess what they were up to. Sighing at her nondescript lowlife, she scrolled through her phone aimlessly.

At the close of work, a surge of hope went through her that her besotted suitor might be patiently waiting for her outside the building. Giddily like a child on Christmas morning, she quickened her steps, bristling past slow passers-by with random excuses. By the time she made it through, she was breathing hard and seeing no knight in shining car had her already dampened spirits fall deeper. Once that passed by, her anger rose. He'd better have a good excuse for standing her up like this.

She got home late in the evening, had a few discussions with Jules who came over to gist and had dinner from leftover spaghetti. She had just finished her night bath and was cuddled up on her sofa when a knock came on her door. Instinctively, she lowered the volume of her television, and crept up to go look through the peephole. Standing outside her door was her long awaited company.

She pulled open the door after unlocking the bolt to glare at him, hands crossed at her waist. "What do you want?"

He flinched at her clipped tone, realizing she had every right to be angry. If it was any consolation, this was not how he planned for today to go. "May I come in?"

She squinted her eyes, her lips pursed as she regarded him closely. It was then she noticed the weary look on his face. He was tired as he still had his work suit on, even his stubble looked despondent, and her heart mellowed at that.

"Sure, come in. I was expecting your call, that's all." She moved away from the door to allow him enter. He strolled to go stand in the middle of her sitting room to admire the apartment.

"My apologies. Something I couldn't get away from came up at work and I forgot I promised you a date," He replied, running two fingers across his collar to loosen the already loosened tie.

She smiled faintly, remembering how invested he could be whenever he was involved in a new project. Even though she admired that quality about him, she knew it was the prerequisite for other deficits. For example, the simple fact that they barely knew much about each other even though they were married for almost two years.

"Are you hungry? Do you want something to drink?" Courtesy forced her to ask that, seeing that their supposed date was a forgone alternative.

He shrugged non-committedly. "I would prefer if you could get dressed, nothing fancy. I promised you a date and I'm here to take you out," He said, eyes locked on hers.

She began to shake her head, chuckling quite mirthlessly. "What are you talking about? Do you not see the time and realize how late it is already?"