Thomas' eyes widened. "Wait, what? Hold on, I thought you were stayin' a few more nights."

I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "It... is a long story. I do not 'ave time to explain."

"Short version?"

I huffed. "I 'ave been at war disguised as someone by ze name of Major-General Levi King, and I am supposed to be at Lafayette's camp zis evening for a meeting. But if I show up after 'im in a few days, exactly when he knows I am leaving 'ere, too many things will 'ave piled up. 'E would 'ave to be an idiot to not realize it was me."

He frowned, sighing. "So I am losin' both of you right now?"

I let out an exasperated groan and ran a hand through my hair. "Thomas! Zat is not ze point!"

"Alright, alright!" He raised his hands in surrender, though I didn't miss the grin creeping onto his face. "There's a back exit, goes through the grounds and into the woods. You'll be able to avoid him through there."

I breathed a sigh of relief, pulling him into a hug. "Oh, merci, Thomas." I pulled away, holding him by the shoulders with my eyes wide, my movements rushed. "I need to change."

With that, I rushed up the stairs.

It was maybe ten minutes later that I emerged, chest bound, fake glasses adorning my face, hair tied back and tucked under a hat.

"Thomas?" I called down to him, and he walked lazily out of the dining room, holding a cup of coffee.

"Yeah, darlin'?"

"Where is ze back exit?"

"Here, I'll show ya." He beckoned for me to follow, and I rushed down the stairs after him. When I finally fell into step with him again, he spoke. "Your horse is gonna be in the stables around back here, you can get him on your way out."

"Merci, Thomas. For zis, and for taking me in for the past few days." I smiled warmly at him, and he returned it, shooting me a wink.

"Of course. It's the least I can do when you're out there winnin' the war for me." I snorted, rolling my eyes, and he chuckled. "I'm serious! And on that note, I gotta say, the disguise is better than I expected."

I hummed in agreement. "Ze thick glasses 'elp, non?"

"Yeah, they do." He pursed his lips as he glanced over, as though considering the getup. "That along with hiding your hair, and I guess you could kinda pass for a man."

"Thank you...?" I said slowly, and he laughed as we reached his back door.

"Don't mention it." He winked as he held the door open for me, "Don't sweat it, though. I already know you aren't, so you wouldn't have me convinced."

"Tell zat to Lafayette," I muttered, going out to the stables, pulling my coat tighter around me. He clucked his tongue as he lead me around to where York was tied up in the stables. I smiled as I rushed over to him.

"'Ey, boy. 'Ave you missed me?" He whinnied lightly as I stroked his neck, and I walked over to throw my bag onto his back. I untied him, wincing slightly at how tight the knot was as I pried it apart. Poor guy had been tied up in that for the past few days. I dropped the rope before hoisting myself into York's saddle and smiled at Thomas.

"I guess zis is goodbye, zen?"

His eyes widened, and I could almost see him get hit by a sudden thought. "Wait, hold on for a minute."

He rushed into the house and emerged a few moments later holding a small burlap bag. I furrowed my brow.

"Qu'est-ce que c'est?" I said without thinking, and upon seeing his confused look, translated, "What is this?"