Chapter 8

I didn't sleep that night. I tossed and turned, held my pillow down over my head, and went through a cycle of taking my socks off and putting them back on, but not for one second did I fall asleep. My mind was elsewhere, too preoccupied to let me slip into unconsciousness for the night, and eventually it wasn't worth trying.

I heaved my blanket over my shoulders and slid on shoes before walking out of the small room, stopping by Herc's bed to steal what was left of his whiskey.

The chill that ran down my spine as I walked outside wasn't unwelcome in the least; it was a nice change from the stuffy barracks. Everything just felt so much more crisp, more fresh. Walking out the door felt like a new beginning.

The sky was clear, the night silent, and I wanted nothing more than to stargaze as I had so many times in the past. As I climbed the side of the building, using the windowsill as a stepstool, I noticed a snoring Frenchman sprawled out where I'd planned to sit.

I decided not to wake him, but sighed at the fact that I still wasn't alone. The only spot that was open was past him, so I crept across the flat roof, and just when I thought I was home free, the toe of my boot caught his chin.

He snapped upwards, and in a fluid motion, caught the boot that hovered over his head and yanked it forward, sending my face plunging into the roof.

He had stood and appeared ready to fight, when I mumbled, "I just came out here for some peace and quiet; is that too much to ask?"

His eyes flew open, as they had been narrowed in his aggressive stance, and he rushed to help me.

"Y/N! Je suis vraiment désolé, mon amour." He sounded panicked and tried to help me up, but I waved away his attempts.

"Ça va, Laf. But if you do not stop calling me amour, I might 'ave to kill you in your sleep," I grumbled as I lifted myself to a sitting position. He chuckled, seeing as if I was alright enough to make death threats, everything was normal.

"Sorry, amie." He smiled sheepishly as he took a seat next to me.

"Sure you are." I rolled my eyes, chuckling.

"Non, I truly am!" he defended, giving me a playfully offended smile, "You are the first I 'ave met who does not like it. I mean, I call most women that, and they are alright with it, so it 'as become habit."

"What?" I dropped my jaw in mock offense, bringing a hand to my heart, "You mean I am not special? I thought I was your one and only." A dramatic sigh left my lips, and he laughed.

"Would you rather I call you amour and no one else?" he teased.

"Laf," I groaned, glaring.

"Only joking, mon amie."

"Much better."

We both chuckled before a peaceful silence settled over us. It was nice, until I heard a shaky exhale from Lafayette as he shuddered.

"Merde, you are cold. I, uh, would you like my blanket?" I grimaced at my words, and he smiled.

"That would be nice." He scooted over next to where I sat before lifting the blanket over him, and my breath hitched as I could feel his body heat radiating off of him. I swallowed hard.

"Laf, you know you can just take the blanket, right? You do not need to share it with me." I raised an eyebrow at him, biting my lip, and he just shrugged after looking down at me.

"Non. Then you would get cold," he protested.

"It is impossible to get cold with a 'eart as cold as mine," I joked, though the air was beginning to prick my skin, giving me goosebumps.