― 21 | YOUR SOMETHING

Start from the beginning

She cut herself short, and this time, it was her turn to blush and look away. 

"Tell the what?"

She pretended she didn't hear him.

"Lyn," he said.

"Hmm?"

"Go on, tell the what?" 

"Huh?"

"A story to tell the..." 

"The...um..." Her fingers fidgeted behind Harry's neck. "The...you know..."

"The what?" 

"Harry—"

"Lyn—"

"You know what I meant."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do."

"Okay, alright, I do, but I want to hear you say it."

She sent him a disgruntled look. "Prick," she muttered.

"You already called me that," he teased. "Now, go on. A story to tell the..."

She rolled her eyes. "Alright, alright. A story to tell the kids," she finally blurted. "I meant to say: a story to tell the kids." 

He smiled at her. "See, was that so hard?" 

"Oh, fuck off," she grumbled.

"I think you mean—" 

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Don't you even dare." 

Harry chuckled and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "You really are something, Lyn."

Her features softened into a smile. "Your something, Harry."

And then he was leaning down and capturing her in a kiss — a kiss which quickly heated with passion and lust. 

Edelyn's skin tingled and her knees threatened to buckle as his tongue wrapped around hers. Her insides stirred and her head spun as his fingers slipped under her jumper and grazed her skin. Her back hurt from being pressed into the counter, but she didn't care, and felt the sudden urge to—

"Lyn, I — Oh." 

They jumped apart and spun around to see Mrs Diggory standing in the doorway; their eyes widened and their faces fell into expressions of children who had just been caught stealing cookies from the cookie jar. 

Mrs Diggory's eyes flickered to Harry, then to Edelyn, then narrowed ever so slightly as they returned to Harry. "I'm sorry," she said stiffly. "I didn't mean to intrude. I'll come—"

"No, it's alright, Juliette," Edelyn hastily said, running a hand through her hair; her stomach lurched as she realized just how messy it had become. "Harry was just — um — leaving to help Ron with the — er — cleaning, you know?" She internally cringed; it was a terrible lie.

"R-right," Harry stammered, then giving Mrs Diggory the most innocent smile he could muster, slid past her and out the kitchen. 

Edelyn gulped and tugged at the sleeves of her jumper, which was still hiked up at the back. 

"So, you and Harry are...?" Mrs Diggory asked, walking over and taking a seat at the kitchen table, gesturing for Edelyn to join her. 

An awkward tension radiated off Edelyn's skin as she sat down beside the elder witch. "We're — um — together, I guess?" she replied in a small voice. 

Mrs Diggory nodded, lips tightly sealed as she gave a soft hum, then reached into her purse and pulled out a slender twig of ash. "Bill told me you're still missing a wand, so I brought you this," she explained and made to pass it over, but Edelyn viciously shook her head.