― i. standoff between lions

𝓢𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐟𝐟 𝓑𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝓛𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

Her fingers brushed against the smooth surface of the golden orb that hung around her neck. The occasional flutter of its wings gently tickled her skin and pierced through the fog of numbness that enveloped her bones — bones which laid atop emerald bedsheets lined with majestic silver designs. 

Number twelve Grimmauld Place was eerily silent, and its youngest descendent took comfort in the stillness. Edelyn Aurélia Black closed her eyes and momentarily released the golden snitch necklace from her grasp to tug at the sleeves of the hooded jumper she wore. She nuzzled her nose into the collar and allowed the comforting scent of sandalwood to invade her senses and give her escape, if only for a second, from the reality of loss.

Her mind had only just started its slow drift into slumber when the quietude was broken and her ears were met with metallic clinks from downstairs, followed by the opening of a door and the distant sounds of a wooden leg thumping across the floor beneath. 

She knew what this meant: Harry had arrived with his guard.

Sure enough, footfalls could soon be heard ascending the stairs and a door creaked at its ancient hinges. After a few moments' silence, Harry's voice bellowed through the walls. Two loud CRACKs struck and the shouting trailed off. Edelyn buried herself further into the softness of the yellow and black sea that drowned her small body and begged for sleep to grace her with kind mercy.

Meanwhile, in the bedroom across the hall, George beamed. "Why, hello, Harry! We thought we heard your dulcet tones." 

Fred, who was also beaming, added, "You don't want to bottle up your anger like that. Let it all out. There might be a couple of people fifty miles away who didn't hear you."

"You probably gave Lynster quite a fright," said George. 

Harry blinked at him. "Edelyn's not here, is she?"

Ginny nodded, plopping herself down on Ron's bed. "She's sharing a room with Hermione and me."

Harry knitted his brow in confusion. "Wait...But I thought...Does that mean—?"

Fred crossed his arms and casually leaned an elbow against the bedroom wall as he said, "Now, now, don't get all excited."

"She's not exactly here at her own will," said George.

"What do you mean?"

"Mr Diggory's joined the Order, and he thought it would be best for Lyn to stay here," Ron explained. "Didn't really think it a good idea for her to be stuck in their house all summer...Not with everything that's happened..."

"Didn't come without a fight, though," said Fred.

"Kicked and screamed until all the portraits were up," said George.