― iii. mimbulus mimbletonia

𝓜𝐢𝐦𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐮𝐬 𝓜𝐢𝐦𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐚

Edelyn spoke very little over the remainder of the summer holidays ( though, she could proudly say that she did indeed say the occasional good morning to Sirius ). The days were spent quietly peeled to Ron like a mute shadow and the nights gnawing her bottom lip, a metallic tang sticky against her tongue. On the 1st of September, she stood with the Diggories on Platform 9¾, glancing every-now-and-then to the dog stood at Harry's feet a little way's away, eyes drooped and tail still. 

She fidgeted with the golden snitch hung around her neck, body riddled with aches as she caught glimpse of a yellow-striped Head Boy's badge pinned against an older student's chest. She frowned, then pulled her eyes away when she heard Mrs Diggory say gently, "You know, Lyn, you don't have to go if you don't feel ready. Dumbledore started you a year early at Hogwarts. We could easily arrange for you to take the year off and join Ginny's class as we discussed." 

Edelyn shook her head — putting her life on hold was the last thing Cedric would have wanted her to do. Whispering small encouragements to herself, she lifted her chin up and said, "That's alright, Julie. I'll be okay." 

Mr Diggory smiled a teary-eyed smile and patted her on the back. "Attagirl," he said. "Now, study hard, Lyn. It's your O.W.L. year. Make Ced proud." 

Edelyn's smile faltered for a fraction of a second before she tugged the corners of her lips back up. "I will," she said, and with the muscles of her face working hard, she leaned in and gave Mr and Mrs Diggory a hug each, before saying, "I should probably go and say bye to the others." 

"Of course," muttered Mrs Diggory with a sniffle, hastily wiping her eyes as Mr Diggory gave Edelyn another pat on the back. "We'll see you at Christmas." 

She nodded and gave them one last wave. "See you."

When she joined the others, her favourite ex-Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher ( and who she now discovered was her Godfather was shaking everyone's hands and bidding them farewell. "Look after yourselves," he said. He clapped Harry on the shoulder. "You too, Harry. Be careful." He smiled at Edelyn and blinked when she stepped forward and gave him a brief hug; a pink hue bloomed across her cheeks. 

"Keep your head down and your eyes peeled," Alastor Moody grunted, and though this Moody did not stare at her piercingly as if trying to search for something behind the gunmetal blue of her irises, Edelyn still found herself coiling away. "And don't forget, all of you, careful what you put in writing. If in doubt, don't put it in a letter at all." 

"It's been great meeting all of you!" Nymphadora Tonks chimed. 

A warning whistle sounded and the students still on the platform started hurrying onto the train.