― ix. weatherby

𝓦𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐲

𝓦𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐛𝐲

The Burrow was filled with the buzz of soft chatter that evening after supper. The Weasleys and their guests lounged in the living room, a peaceful languour falling upon them as a Christmas broadcast of Celestina Warbeck and Mrs Weasley's reminiscence of her marriage played in the background. The twins were sat on the threadbare carpet, playing a game of exploding snap with Ron and Ginny. Harry absentmindedly watched their match, glancing every few seconds to Edelyn.

"So..." Remus hummed in a voice that people often adopted when they were about to ask a rhetorical question, "is it my imagination, or is there some tension between you and Harry?" 

Edelyn glimpsed over her shoulder and caught a fleeting glance of emerald green. She gazed back into the fire, expression hard. "We had a spat."

"If memory serves, your last spat was messy, yet the two of you made up just fine. Was this one worse?" Remus inquired. 

Edelyn tugged at the sleeves of her jumper. "He same some terrible things about me and used Sirius' death as ammunition." 

"That doesn't sound like him."

"Well, Potter's full of surprises, isn't he?" she grumbled irritably.

Remus frowned thoughtfully. "You know, Harry is a lot like his father...stubborn and hot-headed. Whatever he may have said, I'm sure he never meant to intentionally hurt you, Lyn. If there's anything I know about the boy, it's that he cares for you."

"Well, he has a ruddy rubbish way of showing it."

"Yes, well, the Potters have always been...slightly clueless as to how to behave around girls. Especially girls they like."

"What do you mean?

Remus smiled. "James was an idiot whenever Lily was around. Poor bloke never knew how to act around her. He'd always do something stupid, coming off as an arrogant toeragI'm quoting directly there." 

"An arrogant toerag?"

"Oh, yes," he chuckled. "She absolutely hated his guts. It all changed in our seventh-year, of course, when James matured and finally listened to the advice everybody gave him. But my point is that perhaps Harry's inherited the same folly when it comes to you."

Edelyn blinked and propped her chin on her knees. 

Harry, meanwhile, was seriously contemplating buying all the liquorice wands from Honeydukes when Fred turned to face him. "You're a real git, you know that?" 

Harry's shoulders slouched forward. "Yeah, I know." 

Fred gave him an inquisitive look before heaving a heavy sigh and giving him a pitying pat on the shoulder. "Alright, look, here's what you're going to do..."