― xii. game over and begun

𝓖𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝓞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝓑𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐧

𝓖𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝓞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝓑𝐞𝐠𝐮𝐧

"Alright, Georgie, that's seven!" Fred whispered, stacking the seventh toffee eclair into Edelyn's hair ( normally well-kempt, it laid stiffly in a messy bun, unwashed for three days ). She had fallen asleep in the Gryffindor Common Room, a spot of drool smudging into her Charms notebook. "You owe me five sick—!" 

Ron stormed over and slammed his Transfiguration textbook on the table. Edelyn jerked awake, toffee eclairs tumbling down the side of her head. She rubbed her eyes and squinted heavenward; Ron stared down with a very cross expression.  "I'm done," he grumbled. "Done, I say. I'll just fail my O.W.L.s and spend the rest of my life at home. Help Mum with the chickens, you know?" 

Hermione rolled her eyes. "Oh, stop being so dramatic, Ron. If you just follow the study schedule I drew out for you." 

"Yeah, I can study all I want, Hermione, but that doesn't mean I'm going to retain anything," Ron huffed. "I mean, bloody hell, do they really expect us to remember all that stuff about Giant Wars? For Godric's sake, it happened like...four centuries ago." 

Hermione sent him a look of deep disdain. "They happened in the late nineteenth-century, Ron. Honestly, do you ever listen?" 

Edelyn groaned and buried her face in her palms. "Make them stop," she complained as Ron and Hermione began to bicker. 

"No can do, Lynster," said George, tossing five sickles to Fred.

"You're all getting yourself much too worked up," said Fred. "Relax a little, they're just exams."

"They're important exams, Fred, and unlike you, I actually want to get more than three."

Fred smirked. "Right, because lil' Lynster here wants to become a Professor," he teased, pinching her cheeks.

"Oh, sod off," she grumbled, swatting his hands away, "and let me study in peace." 

"You weren't doing much studying when we arrived," George chimed in. "Some drooling, perhaps, but definitely not—"

With lightning speed, Edelyn grabbed her wand from the table and muttered, "Silencio," a triumphant smile crossing her lips as George's mouth suddenly sealed shut. "That's better," she said, tapping him on the nose as he sent her a disgruntled look.

"See? Already got the Silencing Charm down." Fred picked out a toffee eclair that had tangled in her hair and unwrapped it. "You'll do just fine," he hummed, offering her the sweet. 

Edelyn rolled it in her fingertips and eyed it suspiciously. "How do I know you haven't tampered with this?" 

Fred shrugged a mischievous shrug. "You don't," he said with a grin. "Now, unsilence poor Georgie there and let's get going. The double R's waiting for us."