― 07 | HONEYMOON GONE AWRY

PANIC BROKE THE DEAFENING SILENCE

PANIC BROKE THE DEAFENING SILENCE. Guests began to sprint in all directions, many of them grasping hands and disapparating, for the protective enchantments around the Burrow had broken. Cloaked and masked figures began appearing in the crowd, blazes of light shooting across the dance floor, and suddenly, booming through the frenzied air, was the screech of Alecto Carrow. "Black! I see Black! Someone grab her!

Harry and Edelyn's lips parted, and for a fraction of a second, trepidation overtook their bodies and they both stood frozen on the dance floor. Their heads swam with racing thoughts, and in that moment of alarm, it finally dawned on Harry that Edelyn was no safer than he. That though Voldemort wanted him dead, he also wanted to use Edelyn's Beaumanoir powers as a weapon, making her just as much as a target — Harry wasn't sure which one of their fates were worse. And with such realization sinking in, the ghosts of Ron's words thudded in his ears: "I'd feel much better knowing she's alive or knowing she's dead than not knowing at all."

He reached over and grasped her hand; he didn't care anymore. She had been right: they were in the middle of a war. There were no safe zones, no time-outs, and he would rather spend every second in danger with her by his side than to be apart from her. 

Edelyn's mind, meanwhile, went in the opposite direction of Harry's. She apprehended that at that moment, he would be safer away from her. The Death Eaters couldn't recognize him as 'Cousin Barny', but if he stood much longer beside her or tried to protect her with Expelliarmus, they'd surely piece two and two together. 

For a fraction of a second, they saw the chaos reign around them, then Edelyn's eyes snapped to Harry's and she hissed lowly, "You need to leave. Find Ron and Hermione and leave."

"What? No — Lyn!" 

She tried to slip her hand out of his, but his grip was strong. 

"I'm not leaving you here!"

A flash of light flickered across the corner of her eyes, and Edelyn gasped before tugging Harry down; the spell missed them by mere inches. Then, before she could protest, Harry yanked her back up by the hand, and together, they ran through the crowd, adrenaline coursing through their veins as they dodged curses and weaved through the tumult toward Ron and Hermione.

They were but feet away from reaching them when a voice shouted, "Don't let her get away!"

Edelyn whipped her head around to see Lucius Malfoy ordering two masked figures toward them. Blood pounding in her ears, she bit down on her bottom lip before locking eyes with Hermione and mouthing, "Go.

Hermione's brow knitted in confusion. But then, as Edelyn consequently looked down at Harry's hand, which was tightly holding hers, and a flash of brilliant green flickered across gunmetal-blue, she understood her friend completely.

"Relashio," Edelyn whispered. 

As if her skin had suddenly burned like fire, Harry yelped and released her from his grip. He turned to her in puzzlement, but before he could so much as catch his breath, Hermione had seized his shoulder, and with a loud CRACK, they disapparated.