Chapter 3

Is that... a person?!

Your mind immediately jumps to the worst possible scenario.

"Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! Please don't take me! I didn't mean to! It's just—I saw a gleam and my curiosity got the better of me and I picked up the gem and then I got scared off and—"

"Wh-what?! N-no, I'm not going to take you anywhere!" the person said.

You slowly lower your arms from your face and take a better look at the person now standing in your room.

Her figure is fairly tall and slender. Her outfit has a theme of light blue. She's wearing a box-shaped jacket that sticks out a bit at the shoulders, high-waisted pants that seem to puff out a bit near the bottom, simple flats, what appears to be a monocle on her right eye, some kind of strange cap that curves over her head, and a cravat on her jacket that seems to be held together with a gem.

Wait, that's...!

"What are you doing with that?!" You shout. The person jumps in surprise. "You're a thief, aren't you?" you continue. You slam the door behind you and guard it, trapping her in your room.

"U-uhhhh..." The person begins to sweat and her mouth turns down into a cringe. It is then that you notice the color of her skin.

Her skin... it's blue...?

"Y-you're wearing a mask, right?" Your voice begins to quake. You think to call the police, but when you reach for your phone in your back pocket, it's not there.

Fuck, I neglected to bring it with me to work; I was in such a hurry!

You spot it charging at the other side of your room. You dash towards it, and hold it up victoriously.

As the mysterious person tries to leave, you call out to her, "Stop! If you make another move, I'm gonna rat you out!"

You were obviously lying. You were going to call them anyway, but you wanted to stall her so that you could somehow trap her so that she'll have no chance of avoiding being arrested.

But then you think of the gem again. You don't know where it came from. If you claimed that she stole it from you, then you might be under scrutiny as well. You live in a small apartment; what would you be doing with something so expensive as a gem, especially one of its size?

Maybe I should let her go? You wonder to yourself. Then maybe they won't be able to tie me to this, and it'll only be her problem. But, then again... Your curiosity begins to take hold. What's with the strange outfit; the strange skin? Is she really wearing a mask? Why would she be wearing blue? That's an awfully odd color for a thief to wear— not to mention the whole outfit itself. Maybe she's a greenhorn? Or insane?

The person had froze at the door after your threat. She's been staring at you while you were thinking, her expression one of terror as she waits for you to say something.

"Ah— I..." She trails off when she sees how you're now looking back at her. She's sweating bullets at this point.

"So. Are you not a thief?" You ask. You know full-well that she could just lie, but you decided that you might as well start off the conversation this way.