Phantom Blood [4]

Start from the beginning

Even before I saw him, I knew it was the strange guy from the tree, and sure enough, when I walked into the living room he was sat in one of the single sofas next to dad who was sat in his own 'special' chair. They were both drinking a mug of black coffee - Max didn't seem to be enjoying it much- and dad had the local paper propped up in front of him.

'Max, this is the delightful daughter I've been telling you about...' dad grinned. 'And this, Saffron, is Max. He's the local handyman apparently. Did a trial run for me today, and I must say, he's already done wonders for the garden! Wouldn't you say so?'

Max laughed softly, trying to avoid looking into my eyes it seemed. 'I wouldn't say that, Mr. Williamson...'

I narrowed my eyes and walked right though the room without giving either of them a second glance.

'Oh, Saffron, Saffron! Don't be so rude! Sorry Max- Dammit,' dad shouted after me, before sighing heavily and adding, 'damn, this crossword is hard! What is another seven-letter word for mysterious?'

'Furtive, Mr. Williamson,' Max answered.

'Ah, hey! It fits! Thank you Max!'

I shut the front door behind me angrily. Unfortunately, I was finding it hard pull off my 'don't give a shit' face, and it must have been pretty obvious how pissed I was. The next thing I knew, I'd fallen over a lanky brown haired guy who had apparently been looking in through our window.

I got up hurriedly and brushed myself off.

'Hey, are you okay?' he asked as he dragged himself up clumsily and looked me up and down. I didn't appreciate the greedy way he did so.

I scowled, 'yes I am.' After a pause I rolled my eyes, 'are you?'

'Yup,' he smiled, 'I'm Alex by the way. Alex Green.'

'Saffron Williamson,' I muttered. The whole 'introducing myself' to people was annoying me. I'd never been good at it.

'I saw you move in about two weeks ago but I haven't had a chance to introduce myself yet,' he began, irritating me to no end. 'Have you just moved into Kirkland?'

'Yes.'

'Ah,' he nodded, apparently put off slightly by my abrupt reply. 'Um...welcome.'

I sighed, starting to feel just slightly sorry for him.

'Um,' he tapped his lap as if to the beat of a tune.

"Forget about your boyfriend, and meet me at the hotel room, you can bring your girlfriends and meet me at the hotel room," played, coming from Alex's pocket.

I raise an eyebrow as Alex lifted a finger in front of me and pulled out his cell, looking briefly at the caller ID and then accepting.

'This is not a real call, to record a new fake call please press seven now,' and electronic voice droned from his phone.

'Hey, Eden! Yeah.... No.... Oh, sorry, can't right now, I'm with someone right now...' Alex winked at me at that moment.

My eyes narrowed when I realized what the brain-dead sleaze bag was trying to do.

'Yeah... Nah, I'll see you later babe! Okay?' There was another pause as he pretended to listen to what the other person was saying, and then Alex 'ended' the call and slipped the phone back into his pocket.

'Sorry about that, ex-girlfriend,' he winced, circling his index finger around his ear miming that she was crazy.

I offered a sarcastic smile before adjusting my bad, turning and walking away.