Phantom Blood [1]

Eden

First Sight

The house was ancient and massive, with three floors. It was practically medieval, yet it had a quaint beauty to it. Even still, I couldn't imagine myself getting used to it. It hadn't looked so creepy on the internet from the pictures I'd seen. The was made of huge red and white stones and when you entered the front yard, there was a spacious parking lot fitting at least six cars comfortably and it had a beautiful pond to the side of the front door. The back yard was amazingly large too; it had acres and acres of fields, one of which had a huge tree house, attached to a rope swing. There was even a zip-wire, but it hadn't been properly set up. The weirdest thing though, was the circle of stones next to the front door. It looked like a faerie ring or something, but mom said it gave the house character. It had character enough if I she asked me..

Mom smiled at me. 'Like it?'

I forced a smile and nodded at her. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. It would be the loneliest place for two people. Just mom and me.

Reading into my fake smile, Mom put down her bags and placed her hands on my shoulders. 'You know it's for the best, right?'

I was silent. It wasn't for the best. Not at all.

What mom was referring to was the accident. My twin sister, Megan, had died in a car accident over four months ago. Mom had practically broken down as dad had left us the year before that. After the funeral she began packing for us to leave, and we weren't just leaving our beautiful ranch house where I'd made both friends and memories, we were leaving Sunny California too, settling for Kirkland, Washington. This was mom's way of coping. Leaving the memories behind. Making new ones that had nothing to do with Megan. I was completely against it. How could we leave her? The only things left of her? Mom didn't even rent out the house, she sold it. It was gone, just like Megan. And just like I would never see Megan again, I would probably never see our adorable ranch house again.

After continuous silence, a tear eased down her face and she drew her hands from me, making me hate myself. It wasn't mom's fault, she really thought this was the right thing to do. She was suffering just as much as I was, we were suffering, and suffering was never as bad when you had someone to suffer with.

'I'm sorry, mom. I know it is.' I said finally.

She cracked a small smile and placed a hand on my cheek. 'Thank you Eden. We'll be fine, okay? We'll be fine.'

Ten days later and we'd packed all the important things for certain rooms like the living room, kitchen and the dining room. The bathroom had been done too and both our bedrooms had been partially finished. After fitting the last book onto my shelf in my new study which was next door to my room, both the only rooms on the third floor, I wondered whether to wake mom up to make dinner or make do with whatever I found. I went with the second option; mom was tired, she deserved a rest.

In the kitchen I made a simple butter sandwich seeing as we didn't have any ham, and that's what I normally had in them. The silence in the kitchen was deafening and it looked so drab and lifeless. We'd put our old bar stools at a convenient breakfast bar but our stools were metallic and the bar a strange red-brown. It looked shabby. Old-fashioned. The walls of the kitchen were just as bad. They were a dirty cream color and had green and yellow flowers everywhere.

I looked at the silver clock we'd put up. It was seven.

After my sandwich I left the kitchen which, though I hated to admit it, had already started to look like the old one as we'd put up magnets on the fridge, hung up funny personalized tea towels and placed plates and cups in the correct places, I headed up to my new room. I peeked into my study but just as I was about to move on I noticed my laptop was open. I was sure I'd closed it when I'd put it on the desk. Definite in fact. Confused, I went in and shut it. I wondered why mom would open it, she was asleep when I'd put it out...

In my room I crashed on my bed, unwilling to stand up anymore; I had no strength left. I still had three boxes to unpack but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Tears welled up and eased out of my eyes, splashing into my ears, as memories of Megan clouded my thoughts. Why did she have to die?

Megan and I were identical twins. The only way to tell the difference was our hair as even our eyes were the same chestnut brown color. Megan had decided one day to cut her locks into a bob with a long fringe and dye her mousey colored hair red. She didn't like all the fuss of long hair anymore and wanted to be daring, but even though she'd hated hers long she'd always loved mine as long as it was, reaching my backside. She wanted to be a hairdresser and loved to do my hair differently every day, often in wacky styles that were often piled on top of my head that I really couldn't pull off. They were always too attention grabbing. I preferred my hair in a long ponytail with my fringe clipped back most days. Boring. But Megan refused to let me believe that. She said everyone was different. Everyone had a style that suited them and that they felt comfortable in. I had the right to stay with it. Some people were more daring and outgoing, like her, but it didn't mean I had to change. And I loved her for it.

I wasn't the only one either. She was Miss Popularity in school; everyone loved her. She wasn't the A-List bitch that everyone pretended to like, she was the one people went to and she always made them feel good. Megan never let anyone write me off either; if she was invited to a party, I was coming. Sometimes I hated being the spare part, but she never took no for an answer. We were a package. I was more important to her than anything and she was more important to me.

But she was dead.

The tears rushed down my face in torrents as I closed my eyes. The only thing that stopped me from crying out loud was the fact that mom's room was directly under mine.

I opened my eyes, shivering, sure I'd felt a finger stroke a tear away. I sat up. My eyes widened in shock when I saw the silhouette of a man in front of me and it seemed that the head was cocked slightly to the side but seconds later it faded away.

My heart thudded heavily as I tried to control my breathing. It was nothing. Just a trick of the light, yet my eyes wouldn't stop glancing around the room. Suddenly my bedroom was much colder than before. It was silent.

I was alone.

~

*A/N*

Hi!!

New story up, hope you enjoy it my friends!