Chapter 14 - Two Days

About a hour later, I groaned as someone was shaking me awake. I opened my eyes slightly and saw Alex. "Alex?" I whispered. He nodded and pressed a finger to his lips. He made a follow me motion and sat farther away from the group. Everyone else was sleeping except Rachel. I realized sneaking over would be harder then I thought. Jake's arms were wrapped around me tightly and the dragons were surrounding us, along with everyone else. I sighed. "Alex!" I whisper-shouted. He turned his head toward me and I pointed at Jake. He shrugged and made a come here motion, indicating to bring Jake. I nodded. Jake! Wake up! He slowly rubbed his eyes as I shook him the best I could. "Yeah? I'm up." I put a finger to my lips and pointed over to Alex. Jake nodded and got up. He offered me a hand up and then we walked over to Alex. We sat down opposite of Alex as Rachel kept watch. "I can heal you," he said.
     "What?"
     "Do it." We said it at the same time and I looked at Jake. "I want to do it. I will do it, but first I want to know something in exchange," he said. I nodded. "What do you want to know?" He swallowed nervously. "You saw me die right?" I nodded slowly, not knowing where he was getting at while Jake was a little surprised, not knowing I had told him. "Yeah?" I said. He licked his lips nervously and took a deep breath. "I want to know how I die," Alex said. I raised my eyebrows. "Are you sure? You really think you can handle that information?" He nodded while I felt Jake thinking that it wasn't something he should know, but he wanted me healed. I sighed remembering the gruesome scene. "You'll be shot by an arrow." He nodded. "Will I go alone?" He said it barely audible even to my new elf ears. He sounded so scared to hear the answer. I'd be scared too. Jake squeezed my hand and nodded in reassurance. I shook my head. "I don't know who, I think a girl. Either way, you won't be alone." He nodded, taking in my words while Jake stayed silent next to me, but squeezed my hand. He nodded. "Alright. Thank you, Sis. Let me see it." I nodded and swiftly pulled up my shirt. I winced and drew in a breath. He laid his hand on my side firmly and I sucked in a breath. "Sorry," he murmured. I nodded. I felt the sharpest, burning pain on my side and it slowly spread. Jake was doing everything to not jump up and make him stop. He was squeezing my hand harder than I was. "Jake, my fingers," I said. He loosed his tight grip some and I felt cirrculation come back into my fingers. "Sorry." Slowly, the pain started to fade and it felt as if I had never been injured. Liquid poison came rushing out and absorbed into Alex's fingers. It finally dawned on me what he was doing and why he asked how he would die. "Alex!" He shook his head and removed his hand. "It's too late. Besides, I'm dying soon anyways. Why not do something good before I do?" He sounded so depressed. I quickly lifted his shirt before he could stop me and saw what had been on me but slightly better. "I'm fully elf, so I have longer. I heal faster, and poison spreads slower." I stared at him in disbelief for a moment before I tackled him in a hug. His arms wrapped around my waist and he chuckled. "Thank you. Thank you so much," I said. He smiled into my shoulder and I felt his shirt getting wet on his shoulder. I realized I was crying. I felt a tingling sensation spreading from my fingers onto his neck. He felt it to because he pressed his fingers to the back of his neck. A vision of Alex passed before my eyes. He was dead on the ground, still shot, but now I saw a number flash in my head 9/20/3032. No, not a number, a date. My eyes widened when I realized what it might be. I looked over to Jake and he slowly nodded. "I'm sorry." Jake said. I felt tears falling down my face. "Turn around, Alex." I said.
     "But why?" he asked. He looked confused, he probably was. I made a motion to turn around with my finger. He obeyed and pulled down the collar of his shirt to look at his neck. "Hey, what are you doing?" he asked. I deflated when I saw I was right. The date was tattooed on his neck.  "Two days." I spoke softly, not wanting to believe it myself.
     "Two days for what?" He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. I couldn't do it. I just couldn't say it. Jake spoke up for me. "You die in two days." His mouth fell open and he paled. I'm pretty sure if he had been standing, he would have fallen. "Can I have some time alone?" he asked. I nodded and hugged him. Jake nodded at him and we walked off.
     We were by the dragons. Close enough  that we would stay warm, but far enough that we were by ourselves. "What are we going to do now, Jake? Should we tell the group?" I asked. He shook his head. "Some information is best kept to ourselves." I nodded and leaned my head on his shoulder.
     "What are we going to do when we go back home?" I asked. He sighed into my hair. "Well, I think I'm going to need a disguise."
     "A... disguise?" I asked skeptically. He nodded and hummed into my hair. "Well, the government is after me. Or have you forgotten that?" he teased. I smiled. "Maybe I did forget." He shook his head, but he was smiling. I sighed into his chest when I heard a noise. He sat up some. "I heard it too." We heard deep laughter then coming from all around.  We stood up. "We need to wake the others. Now." Jake said. I heard urgency in his voice. He already knew what is was.
     Cyclops. We heard the laughter again,  louder and closer this time. Run. I nodded and he grabbed my hand pulling me after him. "Wake up! Wake up! Cyclops!" he yelled causing Nathan to bolt up. He took one look at us, and began waking others up. Soon, everyone was up and in a defensive circle. Jake squeezed my hand.
     The first one burst out of the darkness and ran for Jess next to me. She froze in fear and I thrust the sword I held out infront of her. It stabbed him in the stomach. I froze, realizing I just killed someone. I tried to pull the sword out, but I couldn't. Jake reached over and pried the sword from the body and handed it to me. He gave me a reassuring nod.
     "It was Jessica or him. You didn't have a choice." I nodded at his words and took a deep breath. One came at me and before I could react, Jake sent it flying back, making it land on a sharp rock. It impaled the monster and I shivered as chills ran up my spine.
     Across the circle, Nathan stabbed one. After that though, no more appeared. "That's strange," Alex said.
     "Maybe it was a rogue pack?" Izzy guessed. Nathan scanned the area. "I don't know. Be on the lookout for more."

I'm sorry this was so short and that I haven't updated in a while. I've been working on my other book, 'Tails Are For Water Legs Are For Land'? Go check it out. This was sort of a filler chapter. I hope the next chapter is better. I know this book isn't the greatest, but I'm hoping the sequel will be a lot better. Thanks for staying with me.

                                                                               XOXO -B