🌺 Chapter XXVII

TW: panic attack, vomit

<Via's POV>

"Via, time for dinner!" Groff yells. I walk downstairs, Spice on my heels, and see him praying at the table. I sit and stare at the cheeseburger in front of me. I slowly pick it up, not really wanting to eat it.

My chest burns and I literally can't breathe. Spice jumps into my lap and Groff yells at her to get off. I pet her fur, which calms me down a little bit. I take a bite of the burger and force myself to swallow. I gag and quickly stand up, running to the bathroom.

I slam the door and lean over the sink. I heave, but nothing comes up. I keep dry-heaving, gripping the edge of the sink. Spice barks loudly on the other side of the door. Groff gently taps on the door and I shakily exhale.

"You okay in there? Can I come in?" He starts to open the door, but I kick it closed. I heave again and again, but nothing will fucking come up. "Via? I'm sending Spice in."

The door cracks open and Spice dashes inside, frantically sniffing my legs. I sit on the cold, tile floor, picking her up. I press my face into her fur, listening to her rapid heartbeat. She's really soft. A tear slips down my cheek and I quickly wipe it off.

"Via?" Groff calls. I shake my head. The door opens and Spice barks, startling me. I look up at Groff, who slowly crouches down. The bathroom isn't quite big enough for both of us. Spice lets out a growl, looking at him. "I'm nice, Spice. Calm down."

Go away, I sign. I don't want to talk.

Don't talk, Groff slowly signs. I look at him. "Umm, I've been practicing."

Book?

"Yeah. It's really helpful. But I'm really slow."

You'll learn, I sign, softly smiling. He opens his arms and I inch forward to hug him. It's an awkward hug since we're both trying to avoid crushing Spice.

"I always want to be able to communicate with you. Especially when you're mute," Groff whispers. I back away from the hug. I lift my hand so my thumb touches my forehead.

Father. Groff beams and I can see that he's getting misty-eyed.

Daughter, he signs back. "I love you."

Thank you for everything.

A/N

Wow, this chapter was short.

Hope you're all doing well.

Love y'all!