26.

The walk is silent, neither one talking

  The walk is silent, neither one talking. Amy continually contemplates in her mind to ask another question, one revolving the incident that supposedly happened eight days ago. Giving up her anticipation, she parts her lips and sucks in her gut, asking what's on her mind, something that she's done a lot of ever since her first night here in the realm.

  "Why'd you save me? Why didn't you let that monster kill me? You said if I was seen, that you wouldn't care enough to stop them from making me a meal. Why didn't you let them make me into one?"

  Lucifer doesn't answer, instead he has his eyes fixed on a single door coming up in the narrow hallway, wide enough for one person to travel through at a time. Amy waits for his reply, but is let down by silence. Her previous words fly right over his head, his mind not fond enough to listen.

Amy lets out a forced - rather frustrated - grunt, barely audible though to Lucifer, who now pads seven feet in front of her. Involuntarily, she continues to trail behind him, his stature almost disappearing in the darkly lit hallway. She can't see anything beyond his body though, because her diminutive figure cannot see past Lucifer's shoulder.

  Her mind leads her mortal self blinded, not knowing what lies at the end of the darkness.  What lies on the other side of the door she cannot see.

***

  Lucifer stops abruptly, Amy catching herself before her nose and high cheek bones collide into the back of his jet black leather jacket. He moves his muscular arm to grope for the door handle, the hallway too dark for the eyes of anyone to see anything in.

  Finally, with a second long delay, he finds its cold surface. His cold fingers wrap around the dull metal, the door hinges screaming like a banshee once parted away from one another.

  Lucifer begins moving again, but Amy stays put, staring through the threshold into another room of darkness. The only thing different from the hallway she stands in, and the unknown room that lies ahead of her, is that this new room has no lights. No torches. No webbed chandeliers. No candles.

  Lucifer has disappeared within the voided room's crevasses, nowhere to be seen, that is, until one single light flips on, the old bulb stuck inside a bowl shaped cover flickering a few seconds before remaining a constant glow. The light spreads a perfect circle on the cobbled and cracked floor, illuminating Lucifer with his hands behind his back, staring straight towards Amy. His dead, blackened eyes frigidly inviting her in silently.

  Amy's foot reluctantly steps forward, her toes shaking from within the fabric of her warn shoe she hasn't taken off since being on the dark side. She plans on not taking them off, so that at any given moment she can escape, but what she fails to understand - and what she will soon learn - is that there is no way out.

  At least, no way out remaining alive.

  "Come Amy, we're waisting precious time," Lucifer says, the sound waves carrying his voice to her ears.

  She moves her other foot in, her whole body now on the other side of the doorway. Adjacent from her, an irritated Lucifer huffs and brings one hand out from behind his back, snapping his middle finger and thumb together.

  Instantly, Amy's figure is in front of him, now in the lit circle. Amy's eyes widen in bewilderment, her body, which was once twenty feet away, is now right in front of Lucifer. Right in front of him and staring him right in the slits of his eyeballs. 

  "What the he-"

  "Silence," he holds up his hand, gesturing for her to shut her mouth. "Calm your heart beat, its about time that we get started with the first lesson." Lucifer steps back, out of the circle and into the calignociyty, but it only takes seconds for another lit circle to appear on the floor...but this one doesn't come from a light bulb, but rather thin air.

  "Now, since Apollyon has already informed you about the four lessons, and that the first lesson in on-"

"Self defense."

"Exactly, self defense. One thing I bet he didn't tell you is that the lesson is split in three parts. One," he holds up his pointer finger, "masking your reeking fear. Two, belligerent, and three, protection." He paces the floor, back and forth, his body remaining in the center of the circle, the ambiguous light following his every move.

Amy watches in a slight sliver of amazement, watching something that she's never seen before in her eighteen years of living.

"I want you to focus on your surroundings," Lucifer orders.

"But there's nothing here," Amy lifts her hands from her sides, signalizing the shadows spread all around her.

"Precisely, focus on it. Take deep breathes to calm your heart beat, I can hear it from here. Close your eyes and picture the nothingness in your mind. Be aware of your senses, taste, touch, sight, hearing, smell. All keen details to being aware of your whereabouts at all given time."

Amy's eyelids shut, inhaling and exhaling. Her mind empty, just like the space around her. Deep within her mind, she nags that she has no idea what she's doing, and to a certain extent, its true. Though she is following Lucifer's stern orders, she still feels like there's another void that she has to fill...like the room around her, she feels empty.

And that's what she's suppose to feel; empty.

Suddenly, an overwhelming feeling of safety cradles her, all her wicked thoughts and feelings whipped away like a whirling cyclone. A faint smile takes her lips, her eyes still closed and ears focusing on her breathing, the only sound in the vacant room with unknown boundaries.

But all is broken when a loud sound of clashing minerals vibrates through her body, her eyes shooting open and hands flying to cover her eardrums.

"And just like that, you're dead."