Book 2: Hall of Memories

Picture is not mine! Please read the author's note at the end of the chapter. Enjoy!
********

Théoden's hands slowly lost their tremor. As he regained his bearings, his gaze settled upon Grima. His expression turned deadly.

Grima flew through the air before his body hit the steps. With a little help from Ara, of course. Her rage gave her strength that not even she knew she possessed. The greasy-haired man tumbled down the long staircase and landed at the bottom. Théoden descended the stairs after him. Ara followed close behind her eyes uncharacteristically dark.

A crowd had began to form at the bottom of the stairs, the clamor having drawn attention. Grima managed to regain his bearings enough to sit up and look at the king storming toward him.

"I've only ever served you my lord." He sniveled, his sickly-pale eyes wide. Grima was fully aware that Théoden could easily kill him in his rage. That had not been part of the plan Saruman told him of.

Théoden scowled down at him.

"Your witchcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" He snarled. The Mark did not take kindly to being betrayed by one of his closest advisors.

"Send me not from your sight." Grima begged in a last effort. It had no effect other than to enrage the ruler further.

Théoden raised his sword to strike the traitor. Ara simply stood and watched. She would not interfere. If Théoden did not strike this weasel down, she would. Wormtongue had caused more pain than one could fathom.

Before the blade could fall, Aragorn stepped forward and intervened.

"No my lord. Let him go. Enough blood has been spilled on his account."

"Aragorn-" Ara began in protest. What, was he just going to let this filth go?! After all he had done to Rohan? To her?

Aragorn gave her a look that made it clear now wasn't the time to argue. Théoden  reluctantly lowered his sword, looking nearly as unhappy about it as Ara was.

Aragorn reached out to help Grima up. Instead of accepting the gesture, the coward spit at him. At such disrespect, Ara went to move forward, face flushed with anger. Gandalf put a hand on her shoulder, stopping her. Grima clambered to his feet and hurried away. He pushed forcefully through the crowd.

"Get out of my way!" He exclaimed, pushing his way through.

Ara seethed as she watched the man who very well contributed to ruining her life get away. Every instinct was telling her to put an arrow in his back and be done with it. She respected Aragorn greatly but he better have had a damn good reason for letting Grima walk free. The bender was not given the chance to vocalize her displeasure, as her friend addressed the newly freed king.

"Hail Théoden king!"

The Rohirrim bowed to their king and the Lionheart swiftly followed suit. This was the day the people of Rohan had awaited for a long time.

"You would have had him killed?" Aragorn spoke. The ranger already knew the answer. He had seen it in her eyes. But he didn't quite know what to make of it. This wasn't the normal calm, collected Ara. The pure hatred that had been in her eyes took him off guard.

Ara looked at him, eyes dark.

"My people would have done far worse to a traitor than that. That would have been a mercy." She hissed. Yes, she wanted revenge. The bender felt she had a right to it. That scum had taken her Justus from her.

Aragorn met her with his stern gaze. He didn't understand what was affecting his friend. Perhaps the evil that had corrupted this place had influenced her as well... but he could not be certain.