Book 2: Reunited

Please read the author's note for some information. Enjoy!

Far from where the four companions were making their discovery, the sound of war echoed across a grassy plain.

Shouting orders over the chaotic noise was a bender with blonde hair sticking out of her helmet. All that could be seen of her face was a bright blue glow from her eyes. Cassidy drove her sword into an enemy before spinning and slicing through another with her other blade. Despite the balls of flames and boulders flying across the battlefield, this was not going perfectly for the Ibilissans. They had not anticipated an attack. Their numbers reflected that.

"Confertos!" Cassidy thundered, trying to be heard over the chaos. With another order, three earth benders gathered together. Their blonde general raised her hand and they moved in sync.

Before the armored benders, the ground began to rumble. Shortly after the earth began to rise and fall like a tidal wave. Enemies were sent flying or fell into the pit that the moving earth left behind.

Cassy grinned behind her helmet. That made a good dent. This wasn't going half bad after all! Her moment of gladness was short lived. A shadow passed over half of her troops. Her grin dropped off her face. The general was thankful for the helm covering her face, as if covered her expression of dread.

A giant beast with long tusks was trampling friend and for underfoot as it thundered toward them.

"Valae adiuva nos {The Valar help us.}"

*********

Ara's breath was caught in her throat. She had felt it all along that it was not Sauruman. That kind of evil could not be mistaken. But still, she could not believe her eyes.

She had felt the dear friend before her slip through her fingers. He had fallen. He had perished, there was no way he could not have. But yet Gandalf was here. And he was changed.

Benders were sensitive to matters of the soul. Ara had felt when Justus's soul had been corrupted. She knew when there was nothing left of the man she loved but Sauron's hatred. Gandalf was different as well. Not in a way like Justus- quite the opposite. He was... enlightened in a way. The question was: how?

"It cannot be." Aragorn murmured in awe. None of them knew what the think. But they did feel joy. Their friend was alive and before them, by some miracle.

Legolas quickly lowered his bow and then bowed. He looked almost ashamed. Gimli followed his lead.

Ara could only stand baffled, unknowing of what to say. Her eyes had long lost their glow, and her body was free of angry tension.

"Forgive me! I mistook you for Sauron." Legolas said apologetically.

Gandalf looked at them thoughtfully.

"I am Saruman. Or rather, Saruman as he should have been."

"You fell." Ara finally managed to get out. Gandalf looked at her. She knew he was lost in some memory. One few, if any, could understand.

"Through fire, and water. On the lowest dungeon, on the highest peak I fought him, the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me and I strayed out of thought and time. The  stars field of end, and everyday was as long as a life age on the earth."

The others were in stunned silence. They could not even imagine what he had been through.

"
But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done."