Chapter 60 - Avi

A/N: Hi guys! The rest of this book is currently being heavily edited. I want to be happy with it before I publish. More is coming soon. Thanks for reading!!

EDIT:

If you didn't know, you can vote for this story and all your favorites in the PTX Fanfiction Awards 2018! The PFA book is in the reading list on my profile if you're looking for it. (My book is 'Fangs and Fur' under the Kirstie Maldonado category. For some reason, I can't see it on the app but I can on the web, if you can't find it.)

Honestly, it means the world to me that you guys read this story! I'm beyond thrilled that this book even made it into the PFA. :):)

----------------------------

November 15th:

Avi realized his hands were shaking as soon as Kevin pulled into a parking space and switched the car off.

"You okay, brother?" Kevin asked as he let his hands drop from the steering wheel.

Was he okay? Avi's gut was tied in knots of anticipation. He was about to see his sister - really see her - for the first time in nearly two decades. He was about to confirm that all his faded memories of himself and an equally young girl were real. He was about to reunite with his blood family. Avi was scared, but he was also excited. "Yeah, I'm okay."

Avi felt a hand on his shoulder. "She'll love you," Kirstie reassured from the backseat.

Kevin tossed his keys in the air and caught them again. "Well, let's go," he said, flashing a smile. Following his lead, Kirstie and Avi got out of the car and started off down the sidewalk.

"Where did you say she works again?" Kirstie asked as they walked. Avi was between her and Kevin, hands shoved into his coat pockets out of nerves.

"Just down the street, at the police station," Kevin said. He pointed to a building ahead of them. "She's a forensic something-or-other, and a detective, I think. She actually only went into that line of work because she wanted to search for you, Avi."

Avi smiled, a warm feeling in his chest, as Kirstie said, "That's sweet."

Kevin grinned. "Yeah, it really is. I told you this morning, Avi, but she really loves you. You've always been in her mind over the years." They approached the building. Just before Kevin led them inside, he paused and looked back at Avi. "Y'know, she thought she recognized you that one day back in the woods, but she wasn't sure. I'm so happy you get to meet again for real."

"Me too," was all Avi said, because he was already starting to get choked up. His sister was really here - in this building - and he was actually going to see her.

"Lemme text her real quick, see if she's available," Kevin said as he led them into the lobby. As they stood in place, Avi slowly spun in a circle, trying to take everything in. This was where his sister worked, where she spent much of her time, all because she lost Avi all those years ago. No doubt she enjoyed helping people; she had helped Kevin find Mitch, simply out of the kindness in her heart. Avi was proud of his older sister, and he didn't even really know her yet.

"She says to go upstairs and down the hall on the right until we get to the break room," Kevin read off his phone. "Right, this way."

Avi followed Kevin through the lobby and up a staircase. Kirstie walked alongside Avi. She didn't say anything, but her occasional smiles helped quell his nerves. Kevin led them down a basic white hallway and stopped just outside a door labelled Break Room. "Ready?" Kevin asked, and waited for Avi's nod before he pushed open the door.

Avi walked in slowly, gaze traveling around the small room before it landed on the only other occupant: a woman sat at one of the circular tables. Avi recognized her immediately from the woods. Her long brown hair framed her naturally pretty face, just as her black glasses framed her green eyes. Green eyes that perfectly matched Avi's.

He had to clear his throat to make his voice work. "Esther?"

Esther's face lit up and she crossed the room in a few strides. "Avi, my little brother? It's really you, isn't it?" Her hands hovered in the air as if they wanted to grab onto him and never let go. Avi nodded, unable to say anything else through a throat thick with emotion. "Can I - can I hug you?" Esther asked breathlessly. Avi nodded again, eyes welling up, and he was quickly pulled into a tight hug.

Esther's hands gripped onto his back, and her forehead was buried in Avi's shoulder. "I can't believe you're here," she whispered. Avi realized belatedly that she was shaking, and he gripped her tighter. "I never gave up on you," Esther continued. "I always believed I would see you again someday. I'm so happy Kevin and I found you."

Avi sniffled and cleared his throat. "Me too."

Avi lost track of how long they embraced. When they finally pulled away, Esther started to whisper memories from her time spent searching for him, and of the time before that - when they were still together. Avi felt the pieces of the puzzle falling into place and he held on to every word.

Eventually, when Esther had to go back to work, she left Avi with one last hug, a smile, and words of love. She was halfway out the door when Kirstie abruptly grabbed her arm.

"Wait," the vampire called. Confused, Avi watched as Esther turned to face Kirstie. "I'm Kirstie," Kirstie began, flushing. She shook Esther's hand. "I wanted to apologize, actually. I bit you in the woods, and I'm really sorry."

Avi saw his sister's gaze flit to Kirstie's fangs and back up, before Esther smiled. "It's okay, Kirstie. The past should be forgiven. We still have the future to get to know one another." And with a kiss blown to all three of them, Esther finally left the break room.

Kevin chuckled and wrapped his arms around Kirstie's and Avi's shoulders. "Well, that was quite the reunion."

Avi nodded. His heart was full like it hadn't been in a long time, and a realization fluttered its way across his content mind: he never wanted to go back to the pack.