6: Control

Katie sits next to me and follows my gaze to the screen. Yet again, another message comes up:

'I cannot answer that question. It will soon all become clear.'

"What does that mean?" My scared friend asks.

"I'm not sure..." I reply, confused. Another message:

'A general rule of thumb: attention to detail. The smallest things can have the largest impact.'

"That's it. I'm leaving. This is fucked up," Katie states. She tries to open the door but it won't budge. "What's wrong with your door?"

"What do they mean by that?" I wonder, mumbling to myself as I ignore her question. I think for a moment before looking up at Katie. Looking into her eyes; the only thing that's changed. The small things...

"Katie... your eyes..."

"What? What about my eyes?" She asks worried. She stands up and looks in the small mirror on my wall. "Why are my eyes blue?!" She begins to panic even more. Another message:

'Bingo!'

What?

Katie then relaxes, thought I soon realize it's not Katie anymore as her neck slowly rotates backwards, cracking and breaking in the process. I scream out in agony and fear at the sight of her face, now with empty eye sockets, as that horrid smile takes over her face once again. I push my self backwards on my bed until my back is pressed firmly against the wall, curling myself into a ball.

The screeching returns. I ball up my fists at the sides of my head, begging for it to stop.

"Attention to detail," says Katie, though it's not my great, fun-loving friend anymore. It's the hacker. The computer isn't the only thing they hack...

Katie's body takes a few leisurely steps towards the bed, stopping at the edge, her neck still twisted and her body backwards.

"If you had simply payed more attention at the café you would've realized there was no one else in it; it was closed. If you had payed more attention to poor Katie telling you the lap top did not belong to you and was wrongfully taken. And if you would've simply glanced at the top of the device, you would've realized it had the owners name on it; the same name that you also didn't see on the supposed worker's name tag."

I tense up more and more as each second passes, slowly realizing my fate. Then I feel something strange. I unclench my fists, only to have a small, wet object fall from each hand. More tears roll down my red cheeks as I realize what they are. I scream out once again and lay my head back on the wall, looking up at Katie's empty eye sockets in pain and denial.

"I noticed your fascination with these eyes at the café. Do you still like them now?"

As if on cue, the continuous screeching begins to grow louder, my vision blurring once again. Just before I black out completely, I hear one last thing from the mysterious hacker as Katie leans towards me, something shiny in her hand. A knife.

"So tell me, Alex. Did you find what you were looking for? I did."