five. radio silence

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Scott," I say exasperated.  "I can see a blurry figure in my memories.  It started when I heard the gunshots from the Ghost Riders and I had a different memory with someone who I couldn't see his face."

"I guess we know which side she's on," Malia mumbles.  I tilt my head at her as my shoulders drop in disappointment towards her.

"Really, Malia," I say.

  〰〰〰 

Lydia and I park with her headlights pointing in the direction of the Jeep.  The sun is down now and Scott is arguing with a tow truck driver.  Lydia picked me up out at my house after she got the SOS text from Scott about the tow truck coming back to pick up the Jeep they spent one hundred and fifty dollars on.  At the same time, Lydia and I climb out of her car.

Scott argues with the guy, "We already paid you.  I gave you all of my money for that drop fee."

"Yeah, and I dropped it, all right?  Now I'm picking it up again," the guys defends himself.  Lydia and I rush over.

"How much?  I'll write you a check," Lydia says to the man.

"It's not about how much.  They want it out of here, okay?  It's not up to me."

I roll my eyes and step around my friends to get in the Jeep.  The guy steps forward to hook the Jeep, but Scott stands up to him.  I climb into the Jeep and pop open the board under the steering wheel.  There's a mess of wires inside and I strain to think about the book I read about wiring a car to start.  In less than a minute, I've connected the right mismatched wires together to start the Jeep.  I roll down the window and lean out.  Malia had shown up while I was messing with the wires.  I was just in time to see her break the guy's hook and hand it back to him.

"Your truck's broke," Malia says.

I yell out as well, "Oh, and don't worry!  I got the keys."  I turn the headlights on to show my point.  I wait until after the guy pulls away and I can't hear his truck on this street until I unhook the wires again.  The three friends approach the window with expressions of astonishment.

"How'd you do that?" Malia asks.

I shrug and say, "I read a book."

They laugh and shake their heads at me.  I open the door and get out.

"So, how are we protecting this Jeep?" I ask.

Scott shrugs, lifting his arms and brings them back down to hit his legs, "Take turns on watch."

"I'll be on first watch," Malia volunteers.

I join, "Me too.  Actually, I'll be on full night duty."

"Still not sleeping?" Lydia asks.  I shake my head.  Scott pats my arm as he and Lydia get inside the jeep.  I go to stand next to Malia, her facing towards the woods and me facing towards the road.

A few seconds pass of silence before Malia asks, "Why aren't you sleeping?"

I shrug.  She glares at the side of my face.

"I'm not stupid.  Don't make me ask again."

I sigh and answer her, "I've been having a recurring nightmare about Theo's sister ripping out my heart."

Malia shakes her head in a sympathetic way.

"That's gotta suck," is all she says.

I nod and reply, "Yeah, I've only told one other person about it so if you could-"

"Oh, yeah.  Of course.  No one will hear a word out of me."

It's been a couple of hours since Malia and I took post outside of the Jeep.  There hadn't been any confrontations since earlier that night.  I glance at Lydia and Scott in the Jeep and find them asleep inside.  That is until we hear a thunderous roar coming from the direction of the woods.  I whip around to stare out into the woods as Scott and Lydia run out of the Jeep.