reminiscene | chapter three.

...Nnghh...

I slowly opened my eyes, continuous and lifeless beeps ringing in my head from afar.

I was in a blank white room, a light white blanket draped over my body. I was in a soft bed underneath the blanket, a peek of light sapping out of a nearby window from behind me. The room was decorated with a few pots here and there, all filled with dirt and succulents. The white door to the room was closed just slightly, but still open enough that I could hear the beeps coming from nearby rooms, as well as distant voices coming from other people outside.

Where was I...?

All of a sudden the door opened, and a nurse with light pink clothes quietly walked into my room. Her long blonde hair shimmered and reflected off of the sunlight from outside, a long strand fixed over to her side. Her blue eyes sparkled and darted around, searching for someone. I attempted to hide my face underneath the blanket, but the nurse had noticed me before I was able to hide, and she shot me a warm smile.

"Ah! Miles, you're awake!" She exclaimed, and she made a little formal bow to me.

"Who... Are you...?" I asked her warily. I hid half of my face underneath the covers, and the nurse chuckled.

"Don't worry Miles. I am Miss Selenia Ferava, a nurse at Harkington Hospital, and I have been assigned to look over you for the time being." She shot me that friendly smile again, brushing the strand of hair over her ear, which fell back to place where it used to be. It kind of seemed like she was just forcing the smile to keep me happy, like a mask that covered up the truth behind her actions.

Was she hiding something from me...?

I shot her a suspicious glare. "Are you... Keeping something from me?"

"Oh?" She responded, surprised, her expression quickly changing from a smile to a serious and tense look, "I... No, I'm not, Miles. Don't worry.."

Looking around, I attempted to find out what was going on around me. There was an obvious absence of something in this very room, and I knew, immediately, that something... Someone... was the thing she was hiding from me. The truth. 'There was a contradiction in her testimony.' was what my father would probably say.

"Where... Is my father?"

Ms. Ferava flinched, a worried expression appearing on her face as her 'mask' slowly began to fall off. "Uhm..." she was so hesitant that I knew that something was wrong, specifically with my father, "No no no! Everything's fine! He's just... In another room in the hospital! Yeah!"

I narrowed my eyes at her coldly. "That, is obviously a lie." Ms. Ferava was still trying to hide something from me, and I would continue to persevere to find the truth.

"Where is he?!" I demanded, voice now filled with fury. I shook my bed sheets off of my body in a rage, and sat up, pointing at the nurse who stood back in shock.

Ms. Ferava hesitated one last time, then sighed, surrendering to my plead.

"...I was hiding the truth for a reason... Because..."

...No... Wait...

"Your father... Is... Not with us anymore..."

"Y-You're joking! It's not true!" I cried, "I won't... I won't believe it!" Now on my knees, I felt the one emotion that was about to spill out of me start to weigh on me more and more as the truth was uncovered right before my eyes.

"...I'm sorry for your loss, Miles. And I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner."

"Wh.. What do you mean 'he's not with us anymore'?! Give me a direct answer!" I tried my hardest to see if she meant something else than the idea I had in mind.

I knew that I would regret asking her that from the very beginning.

She sighed once again, looking at me straight in the eyes. She was dead serious.

"...Again, I'm sorry. Your father... Gregory Edgeworth... is dead."

That was when I broke.

I felt as though my life completely fell apart, shattered underneath my feet. Every hope and dream I had... disappeared. I felt as if I was falling endlessly into an abyss, a lifeless hole without an end. The gunshot from before rang out continuously from the back of my head, as though I was the one being shot right in the heart. I began to sob, tears streaking down my face, and I crumpled up from the place where I was kneeling. Ms. Ferava quickly came over to me, putting her hands on my shoulders as she tried to calm me down, but her words were only a blur in my mind. They were meaningless to me.

Absolutely meaningless.

No... No no no...

My father... is dead...

And... And... It's... All my fault...