chapter one.

Beep!

"Edgeworth speaking."

"Hey, Edgeworth, how you feeling? I heard about how you got sick recently and I was wondering how you've been holding up."

That was the voice of my good friend, Phoenix Wright. We've known each other since grade school, and ever since that one case where he had defended me, we've been back in contact ever since.

"...Oh. Right. I guess I've been doing fine... I already took my medication today and I'll probably be back in court by tomorrow or so," I picked up the cup of warm tea I had prepared myself earlier and walked over to my couch, sitting down. "but.. you don't need to worry about me right now. How have you been doing?"

"EXCUUUSE ME?!" The yell came through the phone louder than expected, and I flinched, surprised. "How am I supposed to NOT worry about you?"

"W-Well... That's..." I came up with nothing as I positioned myself back from my reaction to Wright's voice.

"Can't come up with an excuse, huh?" I could already tell that he was smirking, doing his little proud pose through the phone.

I sighed in defeat. "...Fine. Although I have been getting better, I've been having some horrible migraines lately as well as nightmares. To be specific, that nightmare."

"Wooaah, that nightmare, you say?" He paused for a moment, and I calmly took a sip of my tea as I awaited his answer.

"That nightmare of... what, exactly?"

I almost had a gag reflex to spit out all of my tea at that moment.

"Did you freaking FORGET?!" I yelled into the phone, unwilling to contain my rage.

Wright sounded panicked. "Alright! Alright! I was just kidding with you! Cut me some slack, Edgeworth!" He begged. I groaned back at him, stressed. "It was the DL6 Incident, right? That one?" There were distant sounds of a cup being taken out and a substance being poured into it; Wright was probably getting himself coffee. "I thought we rid of that one long ago?"

"Well... We did," I admitted, taking in another sip of my tea. "But... It just came back again today. It'll probably just stop tomorrow." I didn't want Wright to trouble himself over my own problems.

Why was he so worried? I was doing fine on my own.

"Yeeaaah, right, but don't you think it's kinda weird that it would appear today? Like, what day is it?" There was a pause, followed by some rustling noises in the back. "Oh dammit my calendar on the wall still exists... Uh.." He was muttering to himself about how stupid he was. "Today's December 28, right?"

"...Correct."

"Yeah so today, 16 years ago, the DL6 Incident occurred. Don't you think that's weird that you had just gotten that nightmare again?"

"...Could just be a simple coincidence." I shrugged it off, not thinking that it would be a big deal. Plus, I really wanted to stray away from that topic.

But it seemed like Wright had other plans.

"...Ya think?" He said, not amused. There was the sound of Wright sipping his coffee. "I doubt that honestly. Seems too weird to be a coincidence."

There was silence for about a minute. The only thing interrupting the silence was sipping coming from the both of us.

"...A-Anyways..."

I tried to take advantage of this silence and put us on another topic. Seemed like Wright didn't mind this time.

"How have you been doing? I heard that you successfully defended another one of your clients once again." I asked him, placing the cup of what was now finished tea on a nearby table in front of me. "As expected from the 'Ace Attorney.'"

"Hey, you don't need to call me that, it's kinda embarrassing," He responded. His tone was kind of desperate, but it changed back to neutral quickly, "yeah, I did get a Not Guilty verdict for this guy named Dee Phandmii. He was a construction worker and was accused of murdering one of his fellow co-workers on the job with one of those... long pole thingys. Luckily, we were able to prove to the judge his innocence and soon enough, the real culprit was arrested."

I half smiled at myself. Wright doing what he was doing best, and doing it successfully made me feel proud for him. "That's great news," I stood up to go and put away my empty cup. "How about Maya? How's she been doing?"

"Ah, she's doing fine as well," he chuckled, "I think she stayed up a bit too late last night, which is why she's sleeping in right now. She should be awake by about 9 AM though."

I slowly glanced over at one of my nearby clocks. It read "8:17" which meant it was 8:17 AM.

"I see..." I muttered quietly, slightly zoning out while staring at the clock.

"Oh! I know this is a bit random at the moment, but you wanna meet up sometime later today?" Wright suddenly asked, "I don't have any cases that I need to work on and I might just be able to squeeze in some free time before I gotta do all my bills." I was surprised that Wright would ask me if I wanted to 'hang out' with him, especially since I was still just a bit sick.

I coughed quietly as if to tell him that I was still a bit sick.

"Well... I mean... I am feeling a bit better... And I do need some fresh air..." I hesitated, "I might as well accept your invitation."

He laughed, and I didn't know if it was to me or just to himself. "Hahaha, sounds great!" He exclaimed, "We can meet up sometime during 4 PM at the Perseron Park. It's near my office, I can give you directions when the time comes. What do you say?"

"...Sure."

"Awesome. Catch you later then, Edgeworth."

Beep.

Well... I just accepted an invitation to meet Wright at 4 PM, where it'll most likely be snowing like crazy.

I sighed to myself, glancing out at one of my nearby windows. Outside was basically a snowstorm at the moment. A furious beast, not waiting to be tamed...

I had no plans on going out at a time like this.

Or... Did I?

Besides, I thought, it'll probably calm down later during the day.

...Good job Edgeworth. You just doubted your own statement that you thought literally just a minute ago.

I chuckled to myself and my mistakes, calmly watching the snow fall down from the sky it came from.

...I don't think today will be too bad.

...Hopefully.