IX: nightmare of a world

"I've been dreaming like a fool, in a nightmare of a world
It's bringing out the worst in me
Shook me to the core, my optimism floored
My karma got the worst of me."

Lex

I called it a night when Juliet told me that it was urgent that she spoke to me, and all that my head could think was that she was going to explain to me what her week had been about, after all we were best friends and she left for the week, only leaving a note behind.

Juliet was sitting on the couch, awake and with the lights on. She was tapping her foot against the floor and biting her nails, something she only did when she was really nervous; that was how I knew it was serious.

She patted the spot on the couch next to her, my spot. "Sit, honey," she said sweetly. I knew something was truly off because she only talked to me like that when she knew something could bother me.

I nodded and did so. "What's up?"

She sighed. "How was your week?" she asked first. "Did you enjoy your time with Luke? Because you didn't even check my texts, or answered my calls."

A shy smiled crept on to my face. "We went out. He spent a night here, I spent a night there, and we watched the game together." I kept quiet for a few seconds. "We kissed."

She forcefully smiled. "That's nice sweetheart." She wasn't happy. No. She was happy, she was just trying to figure out if she was meant to be happy. "So, do you know you are dating Luke Hemmings?"

I raised my eyebrows at her, confused. "I don't know his last name. Oh my god, I kissed him and I don't even know his last name," I said as I started to panic.

"Peaches, calm down," she said taking me by the shoulders. "Don't panic. It's fine. So, did you know you are dating Luke Hemmings?"

"If that's his last name, I am. No, I'm not. We are not dating, we are-"

She cut me off. "Don't start with your too specific labels. The point is not his last name but who he is."

I stood up and started pacing around the living room, trying to pull away any piece that my mind wanted to match together. All the signs and moments, all the alerts. I started shaking my head as I looked up and down, side to side. I was even starting to feel dizzy.

It couldn't be possible. Luke was my sweet boy, with a small life and big dreams. My Luke was not famous.

"You are lying, Juliet. Why are doing it?"

"I am not, you idiot. I am trying to help you here," she said pointing all around her and then to herself.

I walked away to the window, the curtains were closed so the lights reflected our shadows. "Don't call me an idiot," I shouted at her. "Don't you dare call me like that again. I didn't get into CalTech so people would keep calling me like that. Plus, I think I am smart enough to recognize a famous person."

"No, you are not!" she screamed back at me. "You are dating Luke Hemmings, member of 5 Seconds of Summer."

"No, no, no. Don't you think I would have notice if I was dating a guy from your favorite band?" I said as if it was obvious, but like she said, I was an idiot.

She rolled her eyes and puller out her phone, typed something and soon she was showing me her news feed on Twitter. "Tell this is not you. Tell that that is not your favorite volleyball shorts that I gave to you. Tell me that is not you in your folklore costume. Tell me that girl is not you."

I couldn't deny it. That was me. That was me doing all the things I had done with Luke all of the week. All the fun, all the laugh and the smiles we enjoyed together. Had it all been fake? No. And I was still on denial. How could I accept it just like that?