VII: knitted sweater for two

"I've been dreaming 'bout a knitted sweater for two
Goddamnit, we look good together."  

Lex

Luke called me that same night just as I was making myself a nice bowl of cereal. He asked me if everything was okay as if he knew that everything was not okay, but he didn't push farther when I said that everything was fine. He then continued asking about how my day had been, and I told him it had been so quiet and calm, when actually I had spent my morning on the bathroom puking and my afternoon on the couch blasting Black Veil Brides song as I was curled up in a ball crying. But yeah, things were fine.

Juliet wasn't coming back to Los Angeles until Saturday and it was Wednesday night, which meant I had to spend two days and a bit on my own, trying to survive loneliness, boredom and anxiety, at least during the night when I wasn't working. Which reminded me that I had lost three days of work and money because I spent them with Luke. I internally groaned. Then I un-groaned because I remember that Luke was filling in my empty time spots so I wouldn't die alone.

"Just tell the time and the place, I'll be there," he said to the phone.

I smiled. "I have to work tomorrow and the day after that, but you can pick me up after work at the diner," I said rolling happy on my bed. Luke talking to me was making everything better.

"When are you done with work?" he asked.

I sat up. "Five. You have something on your mind?"

"Have you seen the Incredibles II?"

I shook my head excited, then remembered he couldn't see me. "No. You are taking me?"

"Yes, I am ma'am."

"Dinner later at my place," I stated standing up and walking to my kitchen again, where our conversation had started. "I'm checking my fridge and it is full, I have to empty it."

"Cook me banquet, darling." My heart fluttered when he called me that. I was trying to take things slow but he sure made it really hard. I wanted to bury my head in his neck and stay safe there forever.

I giggled. "Sure thing, Lucas."

"Luke," he said trying to sound annoyed but I could hear a small laugh.

Lucas had become my nickname for him. He always rolled his eyes when I said, but he always smiled or smirked or whatever, whenever I said it. He just called me Lex like I had told him to do the first time we met, but I really wished we could call me a nickname. I wished he would called me Lexie.

Yesterday when I heard it from Calum's mouth, not only it made me realize how much I missed my family, but also how much I wanted to hear it from Luke's lips.

"Lucas," I said trying to sound flirty but I was a mess. "I call you Lucas, I want you to call me something."

Silence. "I call you Lex because you are Alexandra."

"But I asked for that. I want you to come up with something."

"Yeah?" He sounded playful, excited and flirty all at once over the phone. "Let me think." Silence. The line was filled with silence but not completely, since we could hear each other's breathing, and even that brought me peace and serenity. I couldn't stop smiling against the phone whenever we talked. "What about Lexie?"

Score. My heart was filled with nostalgia and sadness, but it also fluttered and was filled with happiness. "I missed that," I whispered so low that Luke wasn't able to heart it.