15 ~ Sitting Idle

"Hiryur? That's either really fancy or really weird," Ryoka commented, meeting a dead-looking Ponzu's gaze. "Come on, Ponzu. We're in the middle of the exams. Wake up!" Ryoka waved her hands rapidly in front of her friend's face. "You can sleep later."

Ponzu only groaned like a zombie before sending a dangerous glare at Ryusei, who blanched. Ponzu's zombie countenance made the expression twice as scary.

The entire group was shocked to attention by another, even scarier gaze. They all turned their heads to meet Hiryur's eyes. His eyes held an unusual feeling that made Ryoka uneasy. She shivered.

The other examinees seemed to feel it as well as dozens of fearful gazes met Hiryur's own. He chuckled, and the sound came out coldly. 

"Be at ease, future Hunters. Only one more test awaits you after mine should you succeed," he announced, sounding anything but reassuring. "I believe my test is fairly easy compared to the others."

Ryoka stared at him quizzically. What did that even mean?

Hiryur leaned back on the porch, gaze directed toward the sky this time. "All you must do is sit here and wait for the next phase."

A murmur went through the crowd. Ryoka frowned. No way would that be easy.

They would be sitting here, presumably without food or drink times, for an unprecedented period of time. Not to mention there was also the threat of animal attacks.

Besides that, half of the people here would starve to death. 

"It's rather simple, wouldn't you say?" Hiryur ignored various examinees' complaints. "I shall start you all off so we can finish sooner. The time starts now." The man leaned back onto the porch, self-satisfied smirk forming on his face.

Ryoka practically scowled at the man, but she assumed a position much like his own as she sat down herself, ready to wait out the time. 

She had starved herself countless times before at the asylum both as the sadness for her sister's death consumed her and as she tried to get out of jobs her brother assigned that she had no intention of doing. This part of the exam would be bearable if not altogether pleasant.

Ryusei and Yuto assumed relaxed sitting positions as well. The atmosphere stayed strangely quiet.

Ponzu lay down, seeing it was the perfect time for her to get some beauty sleep.

***

It had been at least five days. Ryoka had stopped counting after the fifth, actually.

She lay curled up in the grass, examining Hiryur's stoic expression for the hundredth time that day. The man looked as good as he did from the beginning. His energy conservation ability was insane.

As a person that fasted periodically, she had to admit that even she was starting to feel the effects of not eating.

The same could not be said for the other examinees. Some had given in, picking the grass growing at their feet to eat. This had resulted in the largest number of eliminations in the past day.

Others, too prideful to try eating grass, had simply starved to death as Ryoka predicted. Now there were only about eight others left besides Ryoka's group.

Ryoka cast a glance at her own friends, noting how well they had been holding up. Through small periods of sleep and remaining immobile, her group had successfully countered weariness as they ignored the sensations of hunger and thirst for as long as possible. She had to applaud the strategy.

"You all are doing exceptionally well," Hiryur's smooth voice commended them as he finally stood from his post, stretching. The morning sunlight struck his skin, making it shimmer. "The phase will conclude here. You all have passed."