4~4

Ryoka's POV

I glanced at the king's card before tucking it away in my back pocket. Strange. Weren't kings supposed to be numbered '1'? This guy was numbered 4.

The number for death. How fitting.

I allowed myself a grim smile that hid the growing anxiety on my face as I looked into the dark chamber.

Eyes as golden as my own stared back at me, glowing in the dark. I blinked at them, and they narrowed as would ones accompanying a smile. A smirk.

This uneventful exchange would have continued for some time had the lights not turned on. All formality collapsed as I gasped at what I saw next.

A large fox over a head taller than me was standing in front of me, all four bushy red tails swaying. I immediately ran towards it, not even thinking of where it could've come from or what its intentions were. All I knew in that moment was one thing.

I loved foxes.

The fox did not run as I had expected but instead stood still as I reached up to stroke its head and long ears, arching its back as I scratched behind them. I smiled serenely, thinking back to my childhood when I had found a fox in the forest near our home.

Of course, Aniki had to ruin that too. He chased the fox back into the forest, reprimanding me for playing with strays. My happy attitude acquired a bitter edge as I recalled this, but didn't last long as I met eyes again with the fox in front of me.

At least I had this one now.

The fox and I sat down, and I began feeding it lavish food from the king's plate that I had brought in. It ate them greedily, nipping my fingers in its rush to get to the next piece. I ignored my bleeding fingers and finished feeding it, upon which I lay down, strangely tired after so little activity.

"Tell me when the king comes, okay?" I absentmindedly whispered to the fox. The occupant of this chamber certainly must notice our scuffle sooner or later. The fox licked my bloody fingers as an affirmative, and I collapsed into its fluffy red fur.

=u=

"Mhm, Ryoka-chan~"

"Ryoka-chan~"

I groaned, shielding my eyes from the bright light I knew was streaming through an open window somewhere in the room. "Just five more minutes, Shizune." She would still eventually find a way to wake me up.

But wait, that voice was too deep and too silky to be Shizune's.

I groaned and rolled over, touching human skin beneath my bloody fingers. My eyes snapped open.

Shizune was long gone. I was working at this dreadful asylum, and my current patient was-

A soft purr came from behind me, and I looked in its direction, eyes widening as I saw who it was.

The king smiled, narrow amber eyes glinting dangerously. "I'm here, Ryoka-chan~"

My high-pitched scream was the only thing I heard in the once silent chamber.

*0*

"G-get away from me!" I stuttered as the man leaned over me until our faces almost touched. My face flushed as my eyes drifted away from his face to the rest of him.

Not only was he invading my space - this man had absolutely no clothes on either. I squealed as he leaned down and..