1

I watched green, blurry trees pass through rain-streaked windows. I could finally hear the soft music of 'Right Away, Great Captain!' through my earbuds.

A forest set fire, as I wept in fear for things

I knew I was hidin' between the good, the you,

And me.

My eyes closed and I leaned my head on the window. I breathed deeply as I felt the lull of sleep wash over me. Hopefully, this moment lasts until we get to our destination -

"Daaaad, pleeeasseee change the channel!" Brody complained through my music. My eyes shot open and I internally groaned. "What is this anyway?"

Dad scratched his beard before nudging his phone over to Mom. "The song of my people," he explained in his thick accent, "Very popular back in Russia. You don't like?" Mom giggled and took his phone to find new music.

"It's very nice, Dad," Brody said almost sincerely, "Now Chainsmokers, please."

"Chain... smokers...," Dad mumbled, "No good. And put on your seatbelt."

Brody sighed as the playlist switched to classic rock, courtesy of Mom, and fiddled with the seat belt. As Dad continued to drive through the mountains, I checked my phone. Five new messages.

'Sorry Cas!!! I didn't kno my parents planned this trip earlier :('

'Cant wait to be gone 4 a week lmao'

'Omg the sisters r literal DEMONS'

'Send help'

'U there?'

The corner of my mouth twitched upwards as I texted back.

'LOL it's okay Becca! Still in the car with the fam ugh'

"Cas, could you put your phone away? We're spending some quality family time here." I glanced up to see Mom frowning at me. I rolled my eyes and went on to check my Snapchat.

"Come on, is checking whatever social media you're on really that important?" Mom continued, "I don't get what's up with this new generation... always on their phones..."

"Your mother has point," Dad jumped in. I rolled my eyes again. "Life is too short to be on phone."

"That's right. You can check your phone later. Right now, you're with your family - " I snorted and ripped out my old and beaten earbuds. "I didn't even want to go to the lake! Couldn't you have left me at home? I mean, you go every weekend with Peter anyway, Dad!" The rain around us fell harder. Brody fidgeted with the seat belt, clicking it on and taking it off repeatedly.

"Do not raise your voice," Dad warned, his eyes leaving the road to stare at me. "Family time is important. Soon, you have your own family. And - "

"Yeah yeah," I said sarcastically, "Life is too short, I get it. Better spend your time with your family. But we already spend so much time together, so why couldn't I just stay at home to do my own thing?!"

"Cas," Mom looked at me with pain-filled eyes. Great. Now both parents were staring at me. I shrunk in my seat.

"Family is important." Dad stated firmly, his eyes never leaving mine, "All the precious time, I spend with my family. I... I would do anything for family. You have no idea -"

"DADDY!" Brody screamed.

Mom and Dad looked ahead. The last thing I saw was my brother flying out of his seat as the car flipped over.