Conversations in the library

'Are you friends with Violet?' Sebastian asked Sophie later that day in the library. He was watching her sat at a table on the other side of the room and Sophie rolled her eyes as she followed his gaze.

'Wow Radcliffe. Just... wow.'

'I can't help it! Look at her! And she's funny and kind of nice sometimes and a bit weird. You know I have a weak spot for girls who are a bit weird.' He said in anguish.

'Yes, I know all too well. You are actually pathetic. You know nothing about her and I'll bet she wouldn't even consider you her friend.'

'Well she doesn't have friends. Isn't that the point.' Said JJ, gliding over silently and sitting backwards on a chair. JJ, despite his aggression and his aloofness and his badass status, actually loves a gossip and makes no noise when he walks. It is part of his illusion, which, Sebastian thinks, makes his best friend possibly similar to this dream girl of his.

'That's what you're here for, Sophie. Please help me. I literally can't do this without your meddling.'

'Well, thanks ever so' she drawled.

'I say don't even get involved. She comes from a crazy family and you'd be best to stay away.'

'How can you still be bitter that her ex-step brother made everyone see you for the little punk you are. Ow!' he added as JJ whacked him over the back of the head. 'I know her and she isn't crazy. I mean not in a bad way. And she's not a tosser like he is.'

'You're crazy. You do realise she's also still bitter that the people here used to be twats. I mean I'm on her side there, this place is filled with a load of half-wit fascists, but give me this; she's always been gloomy and pissy and quiet. And that's the opposite of you, Seb.'

'I think' said Sophie, her tone implying that hers is the opinion that really counts, 'Sebastian is right. Violet is lovely once you get passed all that other stuff. And I think they'd be cute together. I mean sure, she's a total 10 and he's a 6 in good lighting and sure, he is totally out of his league, but hey, everyone loves an underdog.'

At that, Sophie and JJ both started grinning madly and Sophie brought out her little black book, making Sebastian sigh angrily and demand their attention.

Suddenly seeing her at a bookshelf not far from the table and without thinking, he yelled her name. Greeted by many angry looks and shushing, she looked embarrassed and shot him an angry look.

'I didn't mean to embarrass you.' He said earnestly.

'Don't worry, it's not me who you embarrassed.'

JJ snorted without even looking up.

'What're you reading today then?'

'Nabokov.'

Shit! He couldn't work with that. Did he write the one about the beetle?

'Oh yes, he's brilliant isn't he. With the castle... and the bug... uhhh...'

'I think you're thinking of Kafka.'

'Oh. Bollocks.'

Sophie and JJ were looking up from the black book now, staring at Sebastian like he was insane. Sophie looked like she was in pain from trying not to but JJ shook his head in pity.

'Mmm. If you ever forget what Kafkaesque means, just think of this moment right now.'

'Well, when I have looked up the work Kafkaesque, I shall be sure to show let you know I'm indignant.'

'And undignified.' Mumbled Sophie.

Violet kept a straight face, unfazed, or just unsurprised, by Sebastian's fumbling. But then she asked what the black book with Sebastian's name on an open page was.

'Oh! It's the black book! The gang makes bets and we keep count in here. Sophie oversees the bets.'

'What sort of bets?'

'Nothing-' started JJ.

'Oh pretty much everything we can. About teachers, students, there's even a dead pool in here.'

'Seriously?'

'I'm top of that list.' Sebastian sprouted proudly.

She paused a minute, seemingly thinking very carefully. Slowly, with reluctance, she asked if she might see it.

Sebastian shouted 'of course' at the same JJ shouted 'No'. Sebastian looked at Sophie hopefully.

'It's alright, JJ, Violet is trustworthy.'

'I don't even know her.'

'Well I do.'

She passed Violet the book, and she sat down at their table and opened it delicately. Her eyes scanned the page with the most recent bet- how long would it take for Miss Blake and Mr Byron to start screwing. There were lists of dates, names and prizes. Other bets included- 'how long before Sebastian is called into the heads', 'Charlie can't break 50 chairs before he graduates', 'Ben can't shag Maisy Mathews', 'Emily can't drink an entire bottle of Vodka (no mixers)', 'Sebastian can't handle an entire night sat in a tree, and without being caught by staff', to name a few.

There were many pools, many bets about how long before certain people got together, and most of the first half were crossed out, winners circled (turns out Emily can and Ben couldn't.) Some bets were simply between Emily, Sebastian, Ben, JJ and Charlie, but some of the bigger ones had up to 40 people playing. She looked at most pages and smiled a smile so small only Sebastian could recognise it. Then suddenly, she pushed it back.

'What do you think.'

'I think... it's interesting.'

'Are you impressed I did the whole night in the tree.'

'I'm impressed you are self-aware enough to bet against yourself in most of these.'

She said thank you to Emily and JJ and waltzed off sullenly. Shit.