Chapter 4: The Waiting Game

Gallavich AU: The Fault in Our Stars

Chapter Four: The Waiting Game

Six days.

Six whole days since we met and he has said nothing.

Not a text, not a missed call – not that I would miss it if he called, I’ve been almost physically attached to the thing since then.

I know it’s stupid to expect him to reply soon, or even at all. He didn’t really seem like the ‘keep in contact’ type. Hell, he didn’t really seem like much of a social person at all, and still I wanted him to talk to me again.

I can’t explain why. I’m always attracted to the things with sharp edges.

I sat downstairs in front of the TV with some really crappy show on as Lip walked into the room.

“Another day of productive thinking?” he said with a grin.

“Fuck you, I’ve done all my studying. When you have nothing better to do all day it’s kind of easy to get stuff done. Do you have any idea how many books I’ve read since I got diagnosed?” I said.

“About as many as the rest of us combined?” Lip asked.

“And then some,” I said.

My phone vibrated loudly on the table and it’s possible that I reached for it a little too quickly, only for it to be a warning about my low battery. I grunted a little and put it back down.

“Waiting for something?” Lip asked, his eyebrow raised.

“What? No, nothing, just someone from support group,” I said.

“Wait, what? You actually made a friend at support group?” he sat himself down on the edge of the couch and I grumbled a little.

“I wouldn’t really call him a friend,” I said. “We hung out after last week’s meeting but uh, that’s about it.”

“You think he’s hot?” he asked with a stupid grin and I rolled my eyes.

“Telling you that I’m gay was probably the biggest mistake I ever made.”

“You didn’t tell me, remember? I found out for myself.”

“Yeah, I remember, trying to forget actually.”

“But that’s why you’re waiting for a text right? I mean I’ve never seen you move that fast in my life, let alone the last five years.”

“You know cancer severely limits the amount of people who want to be in my close proximity, excuse me if I’m happy to take whatever form of company I can get.”