T W E L V E

[Chapter Twelve: Surprise Surprise]

Song: Closer | The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey | Acoustic Cover [Boyce Avenue ft. Sarah Hyland]

~

《 Winter

"You should stop panicking. Nothing is gonna happen," Luci reassured. She was braiding a crown into my hair. I had taken my contacts out and washed my hair so that my natural waves came out as I dried it. I settled for Luci to help me so that she could 'reassure' me. Winter, dear, we are as stubborn as a dear in headlights, reassurance right now is the least we need.

"You look nice," She continued as she finished and walked back to sit on my bed.

"I look weird." She smiled at me subtly.

"You're not wearing your glasses or those stupid contacts that you put in. Remind me again whose idea that was." She chuckled as I rolled my eyes. My blue eyes. I was going to dinner with my waves coming down and without the disguise. I was going as Winter James. And I was freakin' terrified.

"You look beautiful." Luci looked me once over as I stood up. With these dinners, my parents always told me to wear a dress. So, I chose a navy blue one. It was a lace skater dress with long sleeves that showed the intricate pattern of the lace. The dress itself only came down to my knees. Its top exposed my collar and part of my shoulder and around to my back. But it didn't expose the ink on the top of my back. That was covered by my hair.

"Miss James. Your father is calling from the main entrance." My father's valet stood in my doorway waiting. His valet. Yup, real classy parents you got there Winter.

I soon reached the bottom of the stares and awaited some kinda of compliment from my parents. As I suspected, false hope. My mother looked at me and then walked towards the front door and my father gave me a small smile. Nothing. Don't worry Wints, you got me, and I say we look hot. Very hot. Thanks.

~

I followed my parents up the familiar steps of Adam's house, knowing full well that this could go two ways. One, Adam may think I'm a completely different person but then realise it's me, Winter Danvers, and then keep it secret. Or Two, Adam will realise it is me and then tell everyone at school who I really am and then I'd have to move to a new country. Okay, calm down Winter. He is more likely to keep quiet, right because he's from a classy family as well. But he doesn't hide it, so I guess to could go either way.

"Hank, Liz, glad you could make it." Penelope greeted my parents as they entered the house. They exchanged hugs and kisses and shook hands with Harvey. Guys, you saw each other 4 hours ago. Shush. Manners will ya.

"Our son Adam is still upstairs. I'm sure they'll come one dinner is ready." Harvey gestured us to walk with him.

"They?" my father asked.

"Oh yes, Harper Alfonsi stays here with us. He's my son's best friend."

"Alfonsi? Of the Delta Corporation?"

"The very same. Are you familiar with their family?"

"Yes. We have business ties with Francesco and his brother Antonio back in New York. I think, wait, Winter, didn't you attend school with the boy?" Both my father and Harvey looked at me and we stopped. My mother and Penelope looked back but continued down the hall. Yes, you did. But wait, Harper Alfonsi... wasn't he that guy found with her body - Stop talking.

"I'm not entirely sure. I don't remember much from New York." My reply was simple yet blunt, but softer than usual. Remember I was Winter James here, not the overly cold-hearted girl at school. I'm my parents' wonder child. Act like it. You're really good at motivating yourself, aren't ya now? Currently, you're demotivating me. Please just at least try to make me feel better. Honestly.

"Shame. The boy was in an accident. Can't remember a thing." We continued to walk, and they soon evolved their conversation into business, to which I had already zoned out.

"Garnet, please tell Adam and Harper to join us down for dinner please." The man, assumably their butler, walked past us in the hallway and disappeared at the end. I hope he procrastinates on the way. Fat chance, buddy. He looked like he was army trained. Hope! Please let me hope!

~

《 Adam

"You don't look happy." Harper looked over at me as I adjusted my shirt in the mirror. "Wait, is it 'cause you cancelled study time with that chic." I glared at him. "But you can study without the chic. Why are you so grumpy?" Little did this guy realise that although he was on the right lines, he wasn't right about the homework. I'm not that big of a nerd.

It was about the girl. Okay, yes, she intrigues me, and I find her more interesting every day. There's something different about her that I can never seem to pinpoint. Something secret. Something she's always trying to avoid. I know she doesn't want to talk about her family so that's a start. Danvers, right? That's her surname.

"Dude, stop over thinking. Just think to yourself the chic may also be sad you cancelled on her." Harper was right about that.

I walked over to him to fix his shirt. We were both wearing simple suit trousers and plain button up shirts. He wore a light blue shirt with light grey trousers. I wore navy blue with dark grey trousers.

"Why do we have to match?" He asked. What are we, five?

"We're not matching. We're wearing similar colours." He glared at me to which I chuckled back. We were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Adam. Your mother is calling you." It was Ben, our butler.

"Thanks, Ben."

"And sir, may I suggest a tie?" He smiled. He knew there was no chance that I was going to wear one.

"You can suggest it, but I'm not wearing one," I chuckled back, knowing how my mother is going to react. She may say nothing if our guests are that important.

~

I walked towards the dining hall where everyone had started eating. I was wheeling Harper in his chair and we both entered. I saw the couple sitting on the one side of the table on the end as I entered through the door.

"Adam, Harper, meet our guests, Mr and Mrs James and their daughter." My father gestured to the family.

"Harper you'll sit next to Adam and Adan you'll sit here next to Winter." Winter. Winter?! I ignored my mother's glare as she realised I wasn't wearing a tie or my suit jacket but paid attention to their girl sitting at the table. She turned her head towards me. It was Winter. But she looked different.

Her hair wasn't the same and I paid attention to her eyes. Her eyes were beautiful and... blue. Not like the brown eye, I stare at when we're together. Why does she look different? Wait another thing, she kind of looks like that girl, in the -

"Adam, darling, you look like you've seen a ghost. Are you okay, dear?" My mother's concerned look was only replaced by a deathly stare I knew all too well.

"I'm fine Ma. Just hungry." I quickly took a seat at the table and attempted to avert my gaze. She really did look like an angel tonight. But why did she look different? People would fall to her feet at school. Why wouldn't she want that?

I took my seat next to Winter and breathed out deeply. She averted her eyes away from mine and paid attention to the inevitably boring conversation between our parents.

"Man, I'm starving. Where's the food?" Harper clapped his hands and rubbed them together. I chuckled and pretended that this was a regular business dinner. A very regular business dinner where I'm sitting next to a girl I thought I somewhat knew. Now, I have more questions than ever. And I don't even know where to start. Great.