Chapter Eight

I follow him out into the trees, intrigued by the dragon I’m to meet soon.

“She’s just over here, by the river.” He points into the distance and squeezes my hand. “Are you ready?”

“I’m unsure, but I know this is what I want.”

“Then that’s all that matters.” He drops the conversation and walks me through the woods, the sound of rushing water soon filling my ears.

“Be very quiet, we don’t want to scare her. She’s a very gentle spirit and doesn’t want anything to happen suddenly.”

“Okay.” I look into the distance and about forty yards away, she lays next to the river. I gasp silently and stare at her, in awe of her endless beauty.

“There she is.” Danuvius whispers, also getting excited. We walk forward and her head turns, eyes now on us.

“Is she going to get scared?”

“No, of course not.” We walk up, now just a few yards away. I glance over her large, lean body, scales glowing in the sunlight. “She’s so beautiful.” I stand in front of her, not noticing when Danuvius stays a few feet away.

“Hi.” I whisper. She stands up, tail gently swishing to the side, next to me. She lowers her narrow, dark blue snout and her dark green eyes meet my blue ones. I look at the medium-sized ivory spikes leading from above her eyes up to the giant horns on her head, then to the spikes lining her cheeks. Her throat, chest, and underside of her belly all have silvery white scales. Her wings unfold for a moment, showing their full length of probably about a seventy foot wingspan. The membrane glows a lighter blue in the sun’s rays and I can see her veins. She folds her wings back up and walks backward one step so she can really reach me with her snout.

“You’re really pretty.” I compliment, her large head reaching down and hovering in front of my face, about 13 feet in length up to her horns. She blows out some smoke and I reach my hand out.

“Just don’t startle her.” Danny says casually, sitting on the ground and leaning back on his elbows.

“I won’t.” I press the palm of my hand to her nose and she gives me a slow blink, pressing back.

“She’s so amazing.” I smile wide and run my hand up her cheek, gently touching the spikes. Her eyes watch me, but she seems calm. She soon becomes too tall for me to reach, so I just run my hand over her wings.

“Be careful.” He warns. “Not many dragons let you touch their wings.”

“She is.” I say cockily, loving the leathery feel of her membrane.

“Why are dragons so amazing?” I ask, and he chuckles behind me. “The same reason some people are so amazing. It’s just a part of them.”

“I know, but… it’s just…” I shake my head, unable to explain it. Now I know how Daemon feels about dragons.

“I still can’t believe this world exists.” I say, running a hand over the cool scales of her neck. She blows smoke in my face and I laugh, noting the small chortling sound in her throat.

“I think she likes you.” He says, now sitting up and watching the way I handle her.

“She’s incredible.” I look at him and ask, “Can she understand me?”

“She can’t talk back with anything besides body language, but yes.”

“That’s so cool.” I look at her and smile again, this weird feeling in my stomach. “It’s because of the dragons that Jordan and I keep fighting.”