Chapter Five

WARNING: Some content may be too mature for some readers, apparently. Reader discretion is advised

I wake up early the next morning and decide to make us some French toast and eggs, over easy since those are his favorite. Once I finish and the plates are hot and ready, I jog upstairs into my room to see him still sound asleep.

“Jordan, wake up.” I whisper, shaking his shoulder lightly. He groans and turns away, muttering something and waving his hand in the air. “Jordan, there’s food.”

“Huuuu…” He starts, turning back over and looking cute with bed head. He sits up, running a hand through his tangled mess of dark hair, and smiles at me.

“What’d you say?”

“I made us breakfast.” He stands up, then goes to the bathroom and splashes his face with water. When he turns around, I wrap my arms around his waist and kiss the tip of his nose.

“Go eat.”

“Come with me, then.” He grabs my hand and leads me downstairs, us eating breakfast in a calm silence. I grab the camera and start looking through the photos again, new curiosity hitting me once I see the picture of the blue winged lizard again.

“Hey babe, can we have a lazy day? All the cave exploring tired me out.”

“Sure.” He answers, doing the dishes for me. I grab his laptop and begin searching for legends of odd lizards around North Carolina. For hours, I search, now engulfed in the history that lead me to this creature. Jordan watches my furious search over my shoulder, most likely wondering what’s caught my attention so suddenly.

Around sunset I give up, considering there is nothing anywhere about these dra-lizards in North Carolina. These are not dragons, you idiot. Just an unidentified species of lizard…yeah, that’s it.

“Are you alright?”

“Of course I am.”

__________

The next few days of the trip are spent with us looking at local legends and learning the history of Linville and other towns nearby. After a few days, though, Jordan begins to tire of it.

“What’s with your sudden fascination?”

“I just… Look, I saw something extraordinary in those caverns, and there’s nothing the Internet can tell me.”

“Why can’t you let it go?”

“It’s not like me to just let things go. If it bores you, we can stop.”

“It’s just time consuming. I was hoping we’d have a little more we time.”

“I’m sorry, that thought never even crossed my mind. I promise, the rest of the trip will be just you and me enjoying each other.”

And it was, for the most part. Making breakfast, cuddling, even massages and some, ahem, intimacy happened; but the curiosity never died out. I wanted to know so badly what was going on in that cavern in Linville and why no one knew - or at least spoke - about it. Before I knew it, Spring Break was over, and I was back in Florida; because of this, my search ceased, but my desire to know the truth grew.

“Hey, Jordan.” I greet him warmly before school on the first Monday after Spring Break, kissing him tenderly before embracing him.

“How’d you sleep? I know I got you home kind of late…”

“It was fine, don’t worry about it.” I brush it off and we talk about our favorite parts of the trip up to North Carolina. After the bell rings I sit down and he begins his usual for a Chemistry lesson. Second and third suck, while fourth I’m forced to pair up with this guy in Criminal Justice to examine a fake crime scene.