To our own Devices

Author: Draconako

Genre: Fantasy/Romance

What I liked about this book:

This book has a very well thought out plot and setting. The relationship between Quinn and Lorne is heartachingly sweet, and the level to which they communicate and work together is something I haven't seen in many other novels.

Quinn is obviously mentally ill, dissociates regularly, and is often consumed with anxiety, but they are still shown to be a functional and worthwhile person. Lorne supports them from the ground up without even having to ask when it is needed. They talk regularly about their shared anxieties and fears, and obviously care a lot about each other. The whole thing is very...healthy.

Apart from that, we're going into a plot where there is a lot of complex political shit going on, and Draco has managed not to confuse me. The reason Quinn and Lorne were asked, along with the details of the coup, all make perfect sense. That's a tall order out of a first draft.

Good going.

What I did NOT like about this book:

There are a few things that aren't clarified enough and would have confused me had I not asked the author. Quinn and Lorne can communicate telepathically. This needs to be either outright told to the audience, or emphasized much more. Contracts were mentioned, but I did not realize at all that they actually bind the participants together on a mental level--I figured they were like marriage.

Quinn is a shapeshifter, and this also needs to be explained more. If I didn't know this about Quinn, I would have missed it completely. It's a minor thing but I think it really would have tripped me up had it not been outright stated.

Overall:

I really liked this book, and forgive the faults it has because I love the characters so much. I will continue to read the rest of it.

Rating:

8/10. Has some first draft hitches, but a lot less than most other first drafts. I want to read the rest.