Chapter 44

Chapter 44

I woke up wrapped in his arms, not in a rush, not worried about what the fuck I was doing there but just content. I had come up with a game plan over night and today is the today I would execute it. Sleeping next to him put me at ease and cleared my mind and I wondered how I had never noticed the calming effect he had on me before.

I had always thought about the frustration, the arguments and the tension. Never the good, never how alike we were or how well we actually went together.

It had never crossed my mind until now.

I had been blind and stupid, I was a child when we met but now I feel like I have aged about forty years. I looked at the time and climbed out of bed, stealing another one of his shirts to wear to school, each time praying no one will notice it is his.

I sauntered into the kitchen and started making pancakes, before we needed to leave for school. Not long after, Harry walked in too.

"Whats all this for?" He asked, sitting down as I handed him a plate.

"Nothing just wanted to make you breakfast." I smiled, it was a lie though- I wanted to do something nice because I knew after tonight everything would change. We talked all the way through breakfast and then I left early to go to school.

I could barely concentrate through any of my classes, but that was nothing new. All I can think about is tonight, and how it's going to go.

After school I made all my preparations, I even bought a fucking burner phone. This is the kind of person A has turned me into, the kind of person who takes ten thousand dollars to a strange place in the middle of the night just for some peace and quiet.

When I finally got home I sat and had dinner with my mother, catching up with her since I hadn't spent a lot of time here lately. When we were done we watched a movie, and it was nice. I gazed at her wondering how she was going to take the change after tonight, I wondered about what she would do. Whether she was going to be okay.

So, when she went to bed, I hugged her a little tighter and a little longer than usual. At 11, I pulled on some running gear and a black zip up hoodie, putting my hair up and grabbing the duffel bag and my burner phone. The taxi that I had ordered pulled up to the house and snuck out, making sure not to make any noise to not wake my mom up.

After about 40 minutes I arrived at the destination, I paid and thanked the driver then got out of the vehicle. I was in the middle of nowhere, waiting, all alone.

Then I saw them. Wearing all black and a hood pulled across their face, like something straight out of pretty little liars. I was hoping they would speak, maybe I would recognise their voice, but they didn't- instead my phone buzzed.

From Unknown:

Give me the money -A

"Not yet." I shouted back. "First delete all the recordings that you have- every single one and your backups." I yelled.

From Unknown:

That wasn't the deal – A

"If you want the money, do it!" I yelled back. They looked down at their phone and pressed a few buttons. "And the ones in your lair." I shouted again.

I could visibly see them huff as they pressed some more buttons on their phone.

From Unknown:

It's done, now give me the money – A

I began walking a little bit closer to them, with every step my stomach twisted more and more; I was finally going to find out who A was.

"If you want the money, then take the hood off!" I screamed. They did nothing and I moved closer to them. "Take off the hood and fucking face me you coward!" I moved closer, we were merely feet apart and I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. After the longest dead silence in my life, they finally raised their hand to take off the hood.

My breath got caught in my throat, my vision blurred with tears and I felt like my legs were going to give out.

"Shay?" I stuttered. I have to be dreaming, there is no way one of my best friends would put me through the shit A has been putting me through. This has to be a set-up, right?

"A put you up to this right?" I asked, desperate for an answer.

"You always were naïve, here I am staring you right in the face and you still don't believe it could be me." She said, a hint of laughter in her voice.

"But you tortured me, sent me dead animals- you even threatened me- that's not what best friends do." I said.

"They also don't abandon you in clubs to run after a guy but here we are." She scoffed. "Now give me the money and run along, or I will ruin you and him." I unzipped the bag and showed Shay- A the money, I dug in there, rooting around for something.

"Did you know that blackmail is a criminal offence?" I asked buying myself sometime to find this thing. "Its punishable of 14 years imprisonment, depending on the severity." I said, reciting something I read on my phone last night.

"What does that have to do with anything?" Shay asked, I wiped away some of the tears before finally pulling out what I had been looking for. The panic button.

"I'm sorry." I said, pressing it. Police cars surrounded us and there was nowhere left for her to run. The next fifteen minutes were a bit of a blur- all I remember is Maverick wrapping me in a blanket and taking me away. I was taken to the police station and put into a room, lots of people took my statement and I left nothing out- except the parts about Harry and waited patiently for them to tell me what the hell is going on. After about an hour, Maverick walked in with my mom, who had apparently been debriefed.

"Well, we don't have to worry about the blackmail charge falling through, there is a laundry list of other offences that she has committed. If she has a smart lawyer she will take the plea we are giving her."

"Plea?" I asked, confused.

"Five years imprisonment and a restraining order, she can't come into any contact with you at all, if she is seen any closer than 100 yards she will be arrested." I nodded, even though it didn't seem like a fair deal for A, it was a fair deal for Shay.

"Can I go home now?" I asked.

"Not yet, we are still sweeping for bugs. There was also plans for another home that she had apparently rigged, but the address was erased before we could get to it." That must be Harry's house, A must have had one of her minions get rid of everything in the lair, before the police could get there. "Do you have anywhere you could go?" Maverick asked.

"I have made plans." My mom said. As I walked through the police station, I felt a great sense of relief- that it was over, that my life could finally move forward with my life.

But I spoke too soon because as I exited the police station, there he was standing.

"Harry?"

A/N

So now you know, was it a shock? I have always planned it to be her. There won't be that many chapters left.

Hope you liked it.

~Jadey6688