CH 01 │Genesis

Everything began that day.

Part 1

The sun up in the bright infinite skies lit the entire place with its beautiful rays and warmth. Its glare never escaped anyone's figure, shining upon others endlessly. Noon had already arrived yet the star barely showed sign of setting, after all, it was the summer solstice. Naturally, the day would become longer than the night.

The streets were as peaceful as it had always been, the favorite hangout spot of the young girl Kyoko Mochizuki. A wide smile barely left her lips as she cheerfully leaped forward, enjoying the sun's grace. The locks of her lavender hair swayed, following her movements in sync as a few of them got to her face.

She tucked her hair behind her ear, taking a temporary pause. As she lifted her face, her cerulean orbs immediately met the sun's glint as the warm light touched her delicate skin. Instinctively, she placed a hand over her eyes, her palm facing the sun because of its blinding light.

A few days ago, seeing the sun was just like a pathetic dream for her.

The girl returned her gaze to what was ahead of her, the excited grin barely leaving her face. A melodic hum escaped her doll-like lips, the song she liked playing in a loop in her mind. Her mouth parted, as more of her heavenly voice followed.

Can't ever let my heart forget today, a feeling I'll never see

The pattern made to fit, I cut myself a place in the seam

And suddenly I'm singing out a line but catch it to make it mine

Be free the words in me, to ride atop this melody beginning to fly~

The gracious smile on her features never left her face as she sang quietly to herself, continuing on her afternoon walk. A few people passed by and gave the girl doubtful glares, while some eyed her with admiration. She didn't mind them, and she never will.

Perhaps, it was because she was known as the daughter of a great police detective who had apprehended hundreds of criminals who were corrupted in nature. She was proud of her father, that was for sure. She always admired him, hoping that one day, she could be a hero like him.

"H-Huff… huff…!"

Kyoko's eyes grew wide, feeling her senses sharpen. A pained whimper reached her ears, a sound she knew well. She darted her gaze left and right to see where the suffering child was. Her legs moved on their own as she ran along the streets, attentively aware of her surroundings.

Just by hearing a child's cry, she felt her heart almost crumbling, the pain in those breaths affecting her as well. Her leaps turned into a series of hurried steps, giving help to the suffering kid became her priority.

"Where could they be?!" Kyoko muttered under her breath as pants escaped her lips.

"C’mon, just give us the puppy!" 

The moment Kyoko registered the words in her brain, her eyes grew in horror as she reached her destination and what she saw was far from being pleasing. It was indeed an unforeseen sight; a young girl who had thin and short dark brown hair was knelt down on the ground. There was something she pulled very tightly and closely to her chest. 

More whimpers were coming out from whatever she was trying to protect and hold, and apparently, it was a little white puppy covered with bruises as its fur was tainted with black. The small dog looked in terrible pain despite it being protected by the young girl, perhaps it was crying for her own pain.

Four devilish boys surrounded the girl, wearing cocky expressions as they looked down on the girl with satisfied smiles on their faces as if they were enjoying every bit of it. Without giving the poor girl a chance to breathe, the boys were ruthlessly kicking the girl on the ground, turning a deaf ear to her cries and pleas.