Ominous Path

Athena Rose Shepherd stands up to approach the recruitment staff who calls her name. It's her final interview as Shop Associate in the Kent Group of Perfumery. The company carries well known brands. Its expansion and exportation to Asia require a massive employment opportunities for the locals of Tbilisi.

Athena is very confident of her application. She did her research about the company which started six years ago from selling aromatic candles then branched out to oils and perfume.

Standing 5'3", the petite eighteen year old lass follows the recruitment staff. Yesterday, the panel interview with HR & Recruitment heads plus three shop managers was promising. The HR Head even quoted, "Excellent Miss Shepherd. We look forward to seeing you as one of our promising associates. Good luck tomorrow for your last assessment."

As she walks behind the woman, she remembers Artemis. Of course, the Director of Kent Group would be as old as her father like the panel of five with greying hair who did the interview yesterday. Her father taught her how to be impressive. Give short and smart answer, look straight in the eyes, be confident, smile and no fidgeting.

When the door opens, the woman ushering her to the office announces, "Last applicant for SA is now here Mr. Kent."

The blonde girl puts Athena's resume on the table then walks out as the man folds the newspaper that conceals his face. He looks at the applicant and motions her to sit. "Hi, I'm Alexader Kent, Director of KGP, everyone calls me Alex."

Athena smiles even if in quite a shock. "Glad to meet you, Mr. Kent." She's in total disbelief  seeing the young Director of Kent Group. He's handsome with a beguiling smile. She's sure he's not Georgian. His accent is more of English descent.

Alex flips over her resume, "So tell me why you are one of the best candidates for the job, Athena?" The dashing man begins with a flicker of real interest.

Athena is a bit nervous after surmising that the man holding such high position in a prestigious company could only be like 6 years older than her.

After hearing her answer,  his next question throws her off-guard. "Would you mind standing barefoot infront of me?"

Athena is perplexed. What would be next, remove my dress? She dismisses the thought while removing her 3 inch stilletos.

The man gives her a once over. "You can now sit down." He scribbles on the paper then utters in a serious tone, "Miss Shepherd, are you aware of height requirement for Shop Associates which is 5'5''? Have you read about the qualifications in the newspaper?" There was sarcasm in his voice.

Athena gulps the lump in her throat. Yes, she read that. She wanna voice out a rebuttal against discrimination. Yet, she controls herself. She doesn't know the labor laws in Georgia but nobody asks of her height til now. She passed the screening committee, did well on the panel interview and this man cannot put her down. She's tongue tied for a second as Mr. Kent raises his brow.

She must convince him. "Well...I won't mind having any suitable job where height is not one of the strict requirements. I can work in the factory packing candles and bottles of oils and perfumes...or be a receptionist...a payroll assistant or any decent job I can carry on...I'm not only good in numbers but I can prove my worth in many ways as a diligent employee." She needs this job very badly. She just left the Manor last week and her savings are dwindling from paying the room rent, daily food and allowance.

Alex goes back to her resume and throws another question. "An Accounting freshman in Portland State University? WOW! You came all the way from Oregon to apply for this job?" He is astounded as he deeply scrutinizes the resume'.

"I just relocated. My father died. I need a new place to breathe." She quips.

He gives her an intriguing look. "Are you a family of mythological gods?"

Artemis. Hera. Apollo. Venus. Athena finally smiles. Her nervousness fades slowly. "Yeah, you must say that. My mother said it's written in the stars that's why she married my father and gave the same godly names to their children."

Alex can't help chuckling. "Interesting." His eyes seem piercing her very soul when he asks, "Any plan of going back to Beaverton? What if you won't like it here after a few months?"

Athena is ready for it. She rehearsed the answer over her  head countless times. "I'm not a wanderer Mr. Kent. This is my first time setting foot in a new place. I find Georgia quite welcoming. If you give me this job, I plan to stay for good and build strong roots. You see, I'm only having a bedspace in an old lady's house....when hired, I plan to have my own apartment as I grow with the company. "

"Perfect." Alex stands up and extends his hand. "Congratulations."

Athena's jaw drops. That's it? She shakes his hand while asking in disbelief, "Am I hired?!"

Alex grins. "Isn't it the idea? Go find Ella, the blonde girl who brought you here. She'd give you  the job offer."

"Thank you!" Athena hurries to the door for fear that he might change his mind. She doesn't care what kind of job as long as she's hired!

Alex  let his gaze follows the excited recruit to the door. Grinning, he presses the intercom to give Ella instructions.

Athena leaves the building in euphoric state. She walks to the nearby food shops. An early dinner is a good way to celebrate her success. Her utmost wish is granted!

She's halfway with her meal when her phone rings

She's halfway with her meal when her phone rings. It's Hera telling her that she deposited money after receiving her daughter's email last night.

She excitedly tells her about the job offer. Her mother fusses on why she should work when the Shepherds can give her everything she needs.

"It's a long story mother....It's kinda noisy here and my battery will die soon. I'll call you later."

Athena is about to say goodbye when an old woman taps her on the shoulder saying, "Prtkhilad iq'avi, rats gsurt. Eshmak'is savardzeli matsduria".

Goosebumps overwhelm her even if she cannot understand the lines. "Excuse me?" But the old woman only walks away.

"Who's that?" Hera asks.

Athena replies in a confused tone. "Just a stranger saying something odd."

"Yeah. She said be careful what you wish for. The devil's lair is tempting."

She never knew that Hera can translate Kartvelian to English. "You know Georgian language, mother?"

"No. It's what I heard. Be careful there. Might be a bad omen. Ta..." the line was cut.

Athena sighs as her phone dies.