Bad Blood

"Is she ready?" Luna asks her mother.

"We have no choice. We must expose her gradually until she perceives her gift." Glacilda replies.  

Meg agrees. "We better observe her at dinner. She might have the most strong gift that only her mind knows."

"I'll go get her." Mark stands up. He's halfway the plight of stairs when a scream reverberates from the hall at the second floor. Athena is running frantically from her bedroom in severe fright. Not seeing her cousin running towards her they collide. The impact sends Athena sprawling on the floor.

Meg rushes upstairs as Marybeth follows her concerned aunt . 

"What happened?!" the older woman asks the distraught girl being helped by Mark onto her feet.

Athena hugs her aunt as she rants, "I can't see myself! I looked.... and there's...no me!" 

The Peterson siblings glance at Meg who slowly removes the scarf still wrapped around her niece's neck. "Breathe...." She gently pulls away from Athena. "Now, tell me everything ever so slowly."

The teenager stammers as she relays the frightening experience. "I woke up...and..wash my face...then I looked at the mirror...nothing!..I have no reflection!"

Meg waves to the siblings signalling to leave them as she leads her stammering niece inside the bedroom. They walk to the bathroom. Facing the mirror on top of the sink, she asks "Do you see yourself, now?"

To her surprise, the mirror shows her distraught reflection. She blinked three times earlier  and never saw herself.

Meg caresses the back of her stunned niece. "You're tired, sleepless for almost a week. Your vision must have just played on you. That's why I didn't wake you for lunch. It's almost seven in the evening. Let's have dinner with everybody."

Athena nods while muttering, "I'll just change."

Four sets of concerned eyes are staring at Athena as she appears with Meg in the dining room.

"Welcome home my dear." Glacilda smiles at her.

Athena approaches her grandmother who hugs her with warmth then she gives the Petersons a cheeky kiss as each cite opinion about her sudden vision loss.

Mark, a neurosurgeon states that the most common cause of temporary vision loss is reduced blood flow to the eye. "You have a large blood vessel on each side of your neck that brings blood from your heart to your eyes and brain. Noting the scarf around your neck...you might have touched it  while sleeping and tightened to have strained your vessels."

"Stress can affect vision in several ways.  Migraines and eyelid twitching can also be caused by stress and affect vision."  Marybeth, a Trauma Surgeon adds.

Luna smiles at her niece. "Visit the hospital tomorrow so you can have lab exams."

Athena feels stupid. Meeting the whole family for the first time should not be awkward like this. She lost her composure. Though she knew in her heart  that what she saw in the mirror was not her vision playing on her, neither a constricted vessel nor stress. 

Is everyone hiding something from me?

Nevertheless, finding her new family who welcomed her with warmth sufficed it all. She must be happy about reuniting with them. Ignoring the boggling mirror mystery in her mind, she focuses on the food.

 Ignoring the boggling mirror mystery in her mind, she focuses on the food