Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

Yuzu beeped the horn for what seemed like the tenth time as she tried to navigate her way through the traffic 'idiot how could I lose track of time like that?' Yuzu thought to herself as she pushed the horn again. "Move! I cant be late!"

ABOUT 4 HOURS AGO

Yuzu had just finished the call with Kushna, she looked at Mei "Well....."

Mei felt her anger boil over "What do you mean, well? We just got you home and now-"

Yuzu cut Mei off "I know babe, trust me i really do-" Yuzu tried to caress Mei's cheek but Mei quickly pulled away as she spoke "No you don't know Yuzu. You don't see the disappointment in their eyes when they come home and your not there. You don't have to look them in the eye and say that Mama will be home soon you-" Meis voice started to crack as she continued to speak "y....you don't h.....have to t....try and explain t....to our children w...why their m.....mama is n...never h...home"

Yuzu felt her chest get tight, she hated seeing Mei like this. "Mei, I'm so sorry i'm never there I promise-"

Mei wiped her tears away as she looked straight at Yuzu with anger in her eyes "No, don't you dare make another promise that you don't plan to keep!" Yuzu was startled by Meis response, without thinking she returned the anger as she yelled back at her wife "Promises, you want to talk about promises Mei? You should know, you are the Queen of broken promises, right?"

Mei was shocked, she couldn't believe her ears, Yuzu saw the amount of pain that Mei had through her eyes "Mei I-" Mei quickly opened the car door "This conversation is over Yuzu." Mei took in a breath as she spoke one last time before she slammed the door closed "Dont forget Hiro has his presentation at 2pm, I don't care if you let me down but don't let our kids down" -SLAM-

Yuzu pushed her foot on the accelerator and took off.

She didn't know where she was going but she kept driving. Hours had passed then she realised it was already 1.45pm.

BACK TO THE PRESENT

The entire Academy was gathered in the hall, all students and parents were seated and waiting for the Presentations to start.

Aihara was a co-ed Academy now, it was one of the many changes Mei had made over the years.

Behind the curtains Mei was getting ready to address the crowd, she felt someone tug her skirt. As she looked down a smile grew on her face "Mommy is Mama here yet?" Meis smile instantly disappeared, she tried to give him a reassured smile as she spoke softly to her son "Mama promised she would be, didn't she?" Hiro smiled back widely to his Mother.

'Yuzu you better be here' Mei thought, she gave him a kiss on the forehead then stepped out on stage.

After a small introduction and going over the curriculum for the term Mei called Hiro out. She quickly scanned the room, her blonde wife was no where to be seen. She saw Harumin and Matsuri sitting in the back, she locked eyes with them, they both shook their heads confirming to Mei that Yuzu was not there.

Hiro stood out on stage he scanned the crowd looking for his Mama 'Mama said she would be here' He looked to the side where Mei was standing, she had a saddened expression on her face, she gave him a small nod, as if telling him to start.

"H....hello....i'm....H..." Hiro could feel his eyes starting to sting, he tried holding his tears back.

It was breaking Mei's heart, she could see how broken her son was. All he would ever talk about was making Yuzu proud of him, she gritted her teeth as she felt her heart starting to ache.