fifty

fifty

The overwhelming day of Valerie's launch party for her brand had arrived and to no one's surprise, she was losing it. She had worked so hard on putting things together and the fact that she still had tasks to do before the night fell was getting under her skin. Abel was the one to awaken her and make her realize that she had fallen asleep just before securing the line up for the time everything would be presented. He had made her breakfast and he really wanted to sit down and have a decent conversation before she started the long day that was ahead of her. Valerie was too consumed with her duties that she failed to notice. It was when he got up from the table and prepared to leave that she came to understand that she had upset him, and that wasn't what she was trying to do. But because she had so many things to do, she chose not to chase after him and instead focused on her game plan to eliminate the easier chores.

There was nothing on the planet that she was more sensitive about aside from her work. Valerie had come so far since she started her brand, Self Love, XO and she wanted everything to be absolutely perfect before her family arrived at the airport from Montréal. She was freaking out, calling her sister and mother constantly to see if their phones would pick up a ring or go straight to voicemail. After going over the description she posted for her brand's website a few times, she decided to postpone checking in on her family and took a quick shower. She was up to ears with her to-do list so she decided on no makeup besides her eyebrows.

Alarmed by a ring of a bell, Valerie trailed the sound downstairs to see her family waiting for her to open the door. She was stunned to see them as Abel had booked them a hotel a few blocks away from the venue downtown.

"Mama, Jae! Oh my goodness, what are you guys doing here?"

"I'll take that as Abel is currently home," Julissa commented, unable to hold back her laugh due to Valerie's reaction of concern. Valerie let her mother and sister in, shutting the door before everyone took seats on different couches. "Kidding. We decided to come straight here before checking in just to say hi. We know you don't want us here, girl."

"No, that's not it. I'm just–"

"Busy? I get it, sis. I just wanted to let you know in person that I'm so very proud of you. You've been calling me, telling me nonstop about it and I'm just glad I can finally see it all put into motion! You know, you've come a long way and I don't know a soul more deserving of this moment than you. Love you always, sis."

"Your sister is absolutely right, Sol Valerie Reine. You have progressed so beautifully with leaps and bounds over the last year and I'm incredibly happy for you, my dear darling. We can't wait to watch what you've put together tonight, sweetheart. Santiago and Ananda will be flying out in an hour."

Valerie covered her mouth as a few tears rolled down her face. The Cancer in her couldn't hold back the emotions of gratitude she felt for her family. "Thank you so much, guys. I love you both so much... do you guys have everything for tonight? Abel left me an extra card if you need to do any last-minute shopping... There's a Saks right around the corner from your hotel."

"I might have to take you up on that offer," Julissa assured, causing the two to join each other with laughter.

.:|:.

"Hello, Ms. Luna. We thank you for booking us. It's a pleasure to have you here at our venue tonight. We promise to provide nothing but the best service for yourself and your guests tonight. Enjoy."

Valerie shook the hand of the man that greeted her. "Thank you, Jeremy. I am so excited to see everything, is Empress here yet?"

"Yes, she has been here since last night. I'll direct you to her as you wish."

"After you."

Valerie was smiling ear to ear when she stepped foot into the ballroom. Everything was completely wonderful. The runway was spotless. The buffet was set up although the food would not be out until the event started. The circular glass tables were placed all around the room, leaving way in the middle for the stage. Balloons and notes of reservation were present on each and every table. Empress was walking from backstage to the main floor, explaining where she preferred certain decorations to be placed to a couple of people. She finally made eye contact with Valerie. Smiling, she excused her assistants and made her way over to the woman they would all be celebrating tonight.

"Hi, beautiful. I hope you like what you see."

She pulled the younger one in for a much-needed hug as they exchanged kisses on the cheek. "Empress, you are the absolute best. Like ever. You did not have to do all of this! I was coming over to help you and I don't know what I should do."

Empress giggled, shrugging her shoulders because she failed to come up with a suggestion. "I mean, I didn't intend on you to help me, babe. You've helped me so much by being the shoulder I needed when I was losing myself to my mother's death. This is the least I could do."

"Honey, you don't owe me a damn thing! You're the brand ambassador and your spot is going nowhere. So you don't need to be working this hard for me... Go home and get ready, I'll take it from here!"

"No!" Empress argued, upset that all the work she had done would be for nothing if it wasn't complete. "You go home and you get ready. It's your big day, bitch and I'm not gonna let it stress you out!"

"Empress–"

"I insist!"

Sighing in defeat, Valerie turned on her heels and was getting ready to make an exit until the part of her brain that had no chill decided to play around. "You got my email, right?"

"You bet I did."

"And Rye Briggs is to walk the runway first?"

"CHECK! Modelling the first official SLXO sweatsuit, boss."

Valerie raised a brow and continued, "Sacha has already arrived with the apparel and nothing is missing?"

"CHECK! He got here significantly three hours ago."

"Alright, so the wristbands are here and will be seated on the chairs for every guest?"

"CHECK! They will be on display as soon as one of my assistants begins the polishing process."

"Okay. And Abel is to be seated between myself and my mother, and definitely not my sister, Julissa?"

"You got it! She will be seated between your mother and her husband. I also have reserved seats for your brother and his girlfriend. They will be sitting next to your sister's party."

"Great. Now I can go pick up my dress."

feel free to vote • comment • suggest ideas • XO