5.3 || LORELEI 🌊

Lorelei's fingers caressed the leather-bound volumes, the brittle scrolls. Soft morning light streamed through the soaring windows behind the shelves, punctuated by the rusty flames of the night lanterns.

She had always loved the library. As a child, she would lose herself among the musty old tomes, amidst the swoops and curves of the ink and illustrations.

After the Lion Queen took Calder hostage, Lorelei had spent the better part of a year in the library, etching every twist and turn of the breathtaking room into her memory. 

It was here that she'd discovered the chronicles of Cerovar the Conqueror, the man who'd brutalized the people of Wyaernos in his conquest of the five kingdoms. According to the legends, a priest had come to the conqueror's door, asking for alms.

Furious at his insolence, Cerovar had tried to execute him, but the priest remained unharmed through burning, drowning, and even poisoning. Awed by the power of the humble man, Cerovar had turned to religion. After a thousand days and nights of kneeling on riverglass, he realized the err of his ways and became turned to compassion and salvation.

Lorelei stopped, her finger against a weathered old book. She pulled it from the shelf, grunting slightly.

Several rubies and sapphires glittered dully on the leather cover. The title, Chronicles of the Maidendance, was scrawled in an ornate golden lettering, almost indecipherable with all its swirls and flourishes.

Lorelei cracked open the book to the introduction, inhaling the musty scent of the yellowed paper, and began to read.

The Maidendance, created and first held by Princess Lavita Erwyn II, is a tradition to honor the betrothal and independence of the princess of Stromvald.

Upon her marriage, a princess may hold a Maidendance, in which she names a betrothal gift which all her suitors must present in varying amounts if they wish to win her hand. Princess Lavita Erwyn II, who wished to heal her ailing mother, demanded the finest medicine of Wyaernos in exchange for her hand.

The princess' suitors came from all five kingdoms, each one offering medicine more potent than the last. Princess Lavita finally wed a humble medicine man from Valchtnalla, who offered her the famous seeds of the nightsong flower. However, the princess kept the gifts of all her other tutors.

In this way the tradition of the Maidendance was formed. A princess may request any offering from her suitors, all of which she keeps at the end of the Maidendance, but she must wed the man who offers her the greatest gift.

Lorelei closed the book and slid it back into place. She gave the library one last look, then exited.

Back in her room, she sat down, rubbed the exhaustion from her eyes, and began to write.

The sun was blazing when she finally finished, her desk heaped with discarded drafts. Lorelei donned a gown of pale gold (it distracted from the dullness of her skin), braided back her hair, washed her face, and dabbed a bit of cream and powder beneath her eyes.

She had her maid excuse her from breakfast on the pretense of sleeping in, grabbed the final draft of her letter, and headed straight for the Postmaster's Tower.

She listened to the servants as she walked – King Glion's decision to refrain from war seemed to be on everyone's lips. It's all my fault, she thought, but I'll be able to remedy this...I'll be able to bring Calder back if I play my cards well.

"My Princess," Colby Madias said, surprised, as she strode into the tower. The postmaster, a middle-aged man with a peppered beard and bushy eyebrows, was forever complaining about needing a larger team.

"Greetings, Postmaster." Lorelei gave the eleven men of the tower a brief smile as they ogled at her. Half of them were clustered beneath the window, scratching letters out onto fresh sheets of parchment. The other half were busy sealing them.

"To what do we owe the honor of your presence?" asked Colby.

"To this." Lorelei held out the letter, and he took it, squinting over the miniscule print. "I wish for this letter to be copied and sent to every great lord of Stromvald."

"Is this...is this a decree from the King?"

"No," she said. "I am sure you are well-versed in the laws of Stromvald, Postmaster?"

"But of course!" he said indignantly. "I spent - "

" - a great many years studying them, I am sure. This letter is about my marriage."

The entire tower fell silent.

"But my Princess," Colby said hesitantly, "with all due respect...you said you would never marry...a man."

"Minds can change - I am sure you've read about that in your studying. I want this letter copied and sent out by noon. This should take precedence over all your other work."

"Yes - of course - but..." he frowned as he scanned over the letter. "...you say here that you want the dance to take place in three days...is that enough time?"

"Of course it is." She resisted the urge to glance at the door - if Glion were to find her here, he'd probably make good on his threat of locking her in her room. "I want all my suitors to present their betrothal gifts at the dance."

"Betrothal gifts..." he frowned at the paper. "Of men? Might I know what that means?"

She smiled. "No, you may not. But you will soon." She leaned towards Colby, lowering her voice. "Surely you can send this letter today and keep any word of it from reaching the king or the servants. If you do, I'll personally double the size of your team."

His eyes widened. "But - my Princess - "

"I wish you all a pleasant day," she said cheerfully, sweeping out of the tower.

She mused over her plan as she headed down the stairs. If all went well, she would be able to amass quite a considerable army. Glion's liege lords and ladies would be vying to outdo each other with their gifts, and marriage was a small price to pay compared to a personal militia. With luck, she would receive at least ten thousand men.

With her troops, she would go to the Scorvald. She would either swear allegiance to the Lion Queen, gain her trust, and seize Scorheld when Lleona least expected it...or, if her troops were big enough, she would declare war against her. Either way, she would take Calder back home....

The plan was not without flaws – to the contrary, it was wrought with them – but what else could she do? She was not stupid enough to believe that Lleona would take Glion's refusal in stride. Besides, the letter was already being copied, and there would be no reason for her father's lords to refuse her offer....

After all, she was the eldest daughter of King Glion, heir - for now - to Stromvald's land and men.

~~

A mother isn't supposed to play favorites...but Lorelei is dangerously close to becoming my favorite character. :D

So do you think Lorelei's Maidendance will succeed? And do you think she'll ally with Queen Lleona or go to war against her?

As usual, please vote and comment! Thanks for reading!