Chapter Two

My legs ran until there was nowhere else to run to, in front of me was the Atlantic Ocean.  Gentle waves tickled my toes as I put my bare feet into the water. "James, I heard your parents downstairs fighting. They said you had ran away, why would you do that on your big day?" Lila appeared next to me with her bare feet in the sand too. This was no surprise, she never wore shoes. "A woman came to pick me up, Tiffany. She was asking a lot of questions about you, and I didn't want to hear it anymore," I assured her, "I'm okay though, and I didn't tell her anything. Don't worry". 

Lila's expression was to hard for me to read. She didn't seem happy that I had continued to keep her secrets for her, or that I was safe. Hesitantly I asked "Why are you sad?". She walked back a few paces and tried to hide her face from me by turning slightly. "I can't stay here with you anymore. You are getting to old, I don't want you to get hurt," her voice was raspy as if she was on the verge of tears. Anxiety rushed over my body, sending heat waves up my arms and throughout my chest. I couldn't lose my best friend, before I could manage to say anything Lila disappeared with a blink of the eye. One second I had Lila, my best friend, secret keeper, story teller, the next I was alone and crying. 

The police eventually found me strolling up the beach, barefoot and red eyed from crying. They tried to coax me into talking, but I only managed to tell them where I lived. The entire ride home the police officer in the passenger seat kept looking back at me to smile and ask me silly questions like "'What's my favorite color?" Meanwhile the lump in my stomach continued to grow with anticipation and fear. Anticipation that my parents would ground me forever and fear that Lila was serious, she would never come back. 

My parents rushed outside to the police car as we pulled into the slightly uneven driveway. They embraced me in hugs and told me they loved me. The police talked with them for a couple minutes before letting me go and leaving. I didn't want them to go, I knew my parents would ask about Tiffany and Lila. I didn't want to talk about either of them.