11. Forgive Me Father, For I Have Sinned

Start from the beginning

I finished the eggs, but I left the sausages untouched. I didn't want those anywhere near my mouth.

It was then when I noticed Leslie walking up to us, holding his plate in his hand. Nervously, I looked up, but his gaze was stuck at the floor, or at his plate, or Josephine. Anywhere except for me. He brushed past me without a word, walking up to Isabella.

"Hey," he said, gently lying his free hand on my sister's shoulder. "How's your morning, Bells?"

I gulped. It was the hand that he used to touch me, his left hand. Now he was touching my little sister. I wanted to die. I could only hope he washed his hands.

"It's fine," she looked up with her bright eyes, an equally bright smile on her lips. "Except that Jason's been actin a bit weird."

I noticed him gulp, as our gazes finally met. His eyes flickered, all the while saying nothing, before finally looking away again.

"Hey you know what," he said to my sister. "If you want to grow up to be a big girl you've got to eat more."

With that, he dumped the sausages on his plate onto Isabella's. Without another word, he leaned down and planted a kiss on the crown of my sister's head before hurriedly walking off. If I wasn't aware of the context, it would've seen like such a nice, sweet act. But he was probably not touching the sausages for the same reason I was avoiding them too. But I had to admit, he was always pretty nice to Isabella. It was growing on me, I must confess.

"He's acting kind of weird today, don't you think?" Josephine said teasingly. "You've got anything to say about that?"

I quickly picked up my plate and dumped the sausages on her empty one.

"Well," I said, rather awkwardly. "You uh, need to eat more. . . meat! Yeah, it's good for you."

I trailed off with a chuckle while the young woman merely raised her eyebrow at me. Grinning sheepishly, I turned away and got out of there as fast as I could.

I did whatever work I had according to the schedule that day alone. Weeding the plants, making my rounds around the grounds looking for anything that needs patching up, and conducting inventory in the infirmary. This time, it was all without Leslie's overbearing presence hovering in the background. I noticed a box of vicodin had been opened. I thought nothing about it, nothing was gone from the total boxes of medicines that haven't been accounted for, so I thought that perhaps Josephine had opened it to administer it to someone who might've needed it. I could've gone into her office and asked her, but I wasn't too focused on the assignments for that day. I just wanted to be alone and try to sort out my thoughts.

After I was done, I immediately rushed up to my room, closing the door behind me. Plopping myself onto my bed, I let out a deep sigh. I did a good job avoiding Leslie throughout the whole morning, but I couldn't run away from him in my head. I kept thinking of his blue eyes, his kisses on my neck, his hands running down my back. Just the mere thought of it sent a shiver through me.

I couldn't help but suppress the need to slap myself in the face. Well if I didn't like it I could've just put an end to it the moment he started getting handsy couldn't I? But no, silly me just had to let him go on. Did I actually want it? No, that can't be possible.

Maybe it's because the last time I got any action was way before the whole world collapsed, back when I was in high school with my ex. It had been a long time since I got to get off, so of course I'd respond in that way. It wasn't like I was attracted to him or anything. It was just a physical reaction, nothing more. I didn't want it, for sure. Maybe my body was just desperate. I tried shaking those thoughts out of my head.