Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

I decided that I wanted to get on my mom's good side, so I stomped downstairs to the kitchen and got all the supplies I needed to set the table. Occasionally, my mom would send a look across the room in my direction. It was the weirdest look that I couldn't identify. But, I don't really care what people think of me, not even my own mother.

Once I set the table, I started to go upstairs to my room, when my mom nearly ran me over trying to stop me. I didn't have enough strength to face her right now, so I listened to what she had to say.

"Pricilla, don't go back into your room. Please?" My mom finally said, giving me the same look she was giving me earlier. "I think that if you spend time doing things other than thinking about Becky, you might feel better. Do you want to make brownies?"

"Umm..." I thought about it. And I saw the look of yearning in her eyes. "Sure, why not?" She was so happy I said yes to making brownies that she started talking nonstop about what supplies we needed and some stuff I just couldn't understand. I'm glad that I made my mother happy and excited, but I really didn't want to bake brownies. Alas, I did it anyways, just to make her happy.

I was in the middle of stirring the thick, brown batter when my phone vibrated in the right pocket of my favorite sweatpants. It was a text. I checked the number and I didn't recognize it. I opened up the text to see what it had to say. The text read, "Hey Pricilla, this is Jeanna Collins from your History class. A mutual friend of ours gave me your number. I was wondering how you were."

The first thing that popped into my mind was, "Why would Jeanna Collins be texting me? She is in the popular crowd and, well, let's just say I'm definitely not." I debated on whether I should respond. The last thing I want is to be associating myself with a popular kid. I decided that just one little response wouldn't hurt. It wouldn't, right? What have I got to lose? My best friend is already gone for good.

I typed back, "I'm not doing very good. Why are you asking me that, let alone talking to me at all?" Then, I continued stirring my batter, my arms slowly getting sore. I looked over at my mom who was standing right across the kitchen from me and searching in the refrigerator for some chocolate chips to add to my thickening batter.

"I can't find the chocolate chips!" my mother yelled clearly frustrated. "Do you think you could live without the chocolate chips, Cill?"

"Yes, mom. I can live without them. Can you please just pour the batter and put them in the oven?" I really hated when she called me Cill. Becky called me that and it feels wrong for anybody else to. My phone vibrated in my pocket again and I took it out to read another text from Jeanna. "Why would I not? I care, Pricilla. I really do. I've always thought that maybe you would be a cool friend. Want to come over tomorrow and hang with the gang? It might take your mind off things." I wanted to say no, obviously. I already said that I didn't want to associate myself with a popular girl.

"Who is Jeanna Collins?" my mom practically screamed behind me almost giving me a heart attack. When I turned around she was looking over my shoulder at the text I had just got from Jeanna. "She is inviting you to hang out, Cilla! You should say yes! And she is right, maybe it would take your mind off things."

"But, mom, I don't want to go." And I was telling the truth and nothing but the truth.

"Please, Cill? Do it for me? And if you still say no, I am ordering you as your mother to go and hang out with this nice girl from school who wants to be your friend!"

"Fine, mom. I'll respond with a yes. But only because you gave me that damn puppy dog face again." I was really annoyed with my mother right now. She knows I can't resist the puppy dog face! And yet she uses it against me.

"Watch your language, dear. I don't want you turning into a potty-mouth. Give me the batter, I'll do the rest and you just respond to Jeanna Collins. What a sweet girl!"

I stormed out of the kitchen trying to make a scene. But, my mom wasn't phased at all. I responded to Jeanna Collins' last text. "Thanks for inviting me. Place? Time? Give me the deets." It killed me to type those words to a popular girl. But obviously I'm back from the dead already, because I can hear my mom rambling on about how much fun I'm going to have. Yeah right.