Chapter One

"This is it Lila! My first day of middle school," I stood in front of my full length mirror adjusting the collar of my new red polo for the hundredth time. I have always been home schooled until now so I have never had to wear a uniform, they never told me how uncomfortable and itchy they were. "I am so jealous of you James!" Lila shouted as she charged at me from across the room. She engulfed me in a big hug. "Why don't you come with me?" I asked hoping she would finally change her mind. "You know how I feel about adults James, I don't like being ignored". 

I didn't feel like arguing this early in the morning so I dropped the matter and rushed downstairs to have a quick bowl of cereal. My parents were already sitting at the table, but I was surprised to see that they were not alone. A women was sitting across from them dressed in a fancy suit and holding a briefcase. She noticed me before my parents did. "Well hello there little guy, why don't we get you some breakfast!" The woman stood up and found a bowl to put cereal in for me. 

"James this is our friend Tiffany, she is going to spend some time with you today," my mother told me as she began pouring me a heaping bowl of Frosted Flakes. I sat down and began to spoon myself some cereal when I realized that meant I wasn't going to go to school. My parents noticed the expression change and quickly explained themselves. "It's just for today honey. Maybe you can start school tomorrow". I saw through their lies, I knew something else was going on, but I didn't know what, so when Tiffany left I went to without fighting. 

"So James, your parents told me about your little friend Lila. Is she here with us?" Realization rushed over me. My parents had tried this before. Telling me that Lila was not real and I should tell her to leave me alone. "No she isn't here. She doesn't like to be around adults very much," I told Tiffany as I tried to plan my escape. Tiffany continued to ask about Lila, but I gave vague answers. She got the hint after a few minutes and stopped talking. We exited the expressway in a part of town I had never been to before. As we came to a stop at a red light, I opened the door and ran as fast as I could away from her, and everybody else.